Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1.Is the interrogative form of "used to do something" "did S+used to" like this? I think probably it's right, but I need your confirmation.
2. In A1, can "them" refer to "characteristics" as a plural form? Or does it have to be a singular form like "it"?
3. In A2, can you omit "them" or "characteristics"?

Q. What did psychologists used to blame on teens' moody characteristics?
A1. They used to blame them on hormones.
A2. They used to blame on hormones.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
1.Is the interrogative form of "used to do something" "did S+used to" like this? I think probably it's right, but I need your confirmation.
2. In A1, can "them" refer to "characteristics" as a plural form? Or does it have to be a singular form like "it"?
3. In A2, can you omit "them" or "characteristics"?

Q. What did psychologists used to blame on teens' moody characteristics?
A1. They used to blame them on hormones.
A2. They used to blame on hormones.
Yes, it's OK to use it this way. A1 is correct. You can't leave out 'them'.
But the question is wrong.
Psychologists used to blame teen's moody characteristics on hormones.
They did not blame hormones on teen's moody characteristics.
The question should therefore be: Q. What did psychologists use to blame teens' moody characteristics on? (Blaming A on B, and blaming B on A are two different things.)

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In my opinion "did somebody used to" is intelligible but inferior. "Did somebody formerly" is better.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Then, what alternative can you recommend?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I just did. "Did psychologists used to" = "Psychologists formerly." If I was unclear, I apologize.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I just did. "Did psychologists used to" = "Psychologists formerly." If I was unclear, I apologize.
It was very clear. I can't imagine how keannu missed it.
Maybe formally. But in conversation, in AusE, "Didn't you use to go to that school?" is correct and almost nobody would say, "Didn't you formerly go to that school?" or "Weren't you in the custom of ..." or "Didn't you habitually ..." or anything else I can think of.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"Did A used to ...?" is illogical. If we are using USE as we would most other verbs, then the form should be "Did A use to ...?", and that is the form that is still considered correct in BrE. However, as both forms are pronounced in the same way, the used form is quite commonly seen. Some people appear to be unsure, and avoid the form altogether.

Part of the problem for older people is that we were taught at school that the only correct form was "Used A to ...?", which sounds strange to most people today.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Did A used to ...?" is illogical. If we are using USE as we would most other verbs, then the form should be "Did A use to ...?", and that is the form that is still considered correct in BrE. However, as both forms are pronounced in the same way, the used form is quite commonly seen. Some people appear to be unsure, and avoid the form altogether.

Part of the problem for older people is that we were taught at school that the only correct form was "Used A to ...?", which sounds strange to most people today.
Yes, you're correct. The correct sentence is:
Q. What did psychologists use to blame teens' moody characteristics on?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Note the difference between:

1. What did he use (/ju:z/) to (/tə/) cut the cloth? - Which implement did he employ in order to cut the cloth.

and

2. What did he use to (/ju:stə/) cut the cloth with? - With which implement did he formerly cut the cloth?
3. What did he used to (/ju:stə/) cut the cloth with? - With which implement did he formerly cut the cloth?

The technically incorrect form in #3 is pronounced in exactly the same way as the correct form in#2.

Status
Not open for further replies.