[General] The moment my eyes crossed over....

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
'She was already awake, and the moment my eyes crossed over her, I could feel my mouth lift into an enormous smile'

Was wondering if anybody thought that was an odd phrase/wording in this particular context?

Cheers

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'She was already awake, and the moment my eyes crossed over her, I could feel my mouth lift into an enormous smile'

Was wondering if anybody thought that was an odd phrase/wording in this particular context?

Cheers

Well, I don't think I would have used that expression, but as an English Literature Major I'm sure you realize that authors create expressions, terms etc. that seem to be and are "unusual". Having noticed that yourself, I would be interested, based on your field of study, to know what expression you would replace it with.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Well, I don't think I would have used that expression, but as an English Literature Major I'm sure you realize that authors create expressions, terms etc. that seem to be and are "unusual". Having noticed that yourself, I would be interested, based on your field of study, to know what expression you would replace it with.

I really don't know. My English lit teacher pointed out that she thought it was an unusual expression. Maybe it's the 'over her' part that's strange, because it implies he doesn't keep looking at her...

I was thinking about changing it to 'the moment my eyes touched hers'

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think the writer meant that their eyes met. I think it means that the man "looked her over" ie he looked up and down her body, from head to toe, and the sight of her made him smile.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I don't think the writer meant that their eyes met. I think it means that the man "looked her over" ie he looked up and down her body, from head to toe, and the sight of her made him smile.

Well I'm honestly not sure what meaning I wanted behind it.

I was trying to convey it that the mere sight of her made him smile.

So I guess that's not how people have been interpreting it?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

I am afraid that I took it to mean that the sight of her caused me to go cross-eyed and that made me grin inanely.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"... when I turned to look at her, the sight made me smile".

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

I am afraid that I took it to mean that the sight of her caused me to go cross-eyed and that made me grin inanely.

Oh dear :D

Could you suggest any way for me to convey the meaning in a more clear fashion?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Oh dear :D

Could you suggest any way for me to convey the meaning in a more clear fashion?

Well, I've tried to do that in post #7.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Well I'm honestly not sure what meaning I wanted behind it.

I was trying to convey it that the mere sight of her made him smile.
You can probably learn two things from this: i) don't write anything until you know what you mean, and ii) if you mean "the mere sight of her made me smile" write that.
"She was already awake, and as I turned to her, the mere sight of her caused my mouth to lift into an enormous smile". (I wouldn't actually write this, but it's not my story).
You can break rule i) if you're writing in order to determine what you do mean.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I was thinking about changing it to 'the moment my eyes touched hers'.

I wouldn't. You'll have people doing contortions trying to see if that's even possible.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Well, I've tried to do that in post #7.

Sorry, I must've passed over it.

It sounds good. But it doesn't quite fit with what I've written.

I wouldn't. You'll have people doing contortions trying to see if that's even possible.

This is why I love this site! :D

Would 'the moment our gaze met ' sound better? To mean they both looked into each others eyes?

Basically, the section is full of cliche lovey-dovey moments. It's making it very difficult to convey the scene in the right light...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"The moment our eyes met" is a fairly standard phrase, but it doesn't work with "gaze" (although it would be "gazes" anyway). Given that you just said that my suggestion in post #7 didn't fit what you had originally written, I would say that the same goes for "The moment our eyes met". In your original, there was no suggestion that "she" was looking in your direction at all. It simply stated that your eyes "crossed over" her. I thought it was entirely possible that she was asleep and you were just looking at her and thinking "She's gorgeous. I'm a lucky guy!"

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"The moment our eyes met" is a fairly standard phrase, but it doesn't work with "gaze" (although it would be "gazes" anyway). Given that you just said that my suggestion in post #7 didn't fit what you had originally written, I would say that the same goes for "The moment our eyes met". In your original, there was no suggestion that "she" was looking in your direction at all. It simply stated that your eyes "crossed over" her. I thought it was entirely possible that she was asleep and you were just looking at her and thinking "She's gorgeous. I'm a lucky guy!"

It's a possibility.

But it would require changes to the rest of this particular scene.

This is the full scene if it helps:

'When I got to my wife’s room, she was already awake. The moment my eyes crossed over her, I felt my mouth lift into an enormous smile. She was already dressed, with the discharge papers signed and sitting on the table, waiting for the nurse.'

Right now I'm thinking of something more mundane like 'the moment I saw her'. Keeping it really simple. But I don't feel any emotion in that choice.

I've really spent too long considering this choice. :D

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
And, more easily, they are available at the top of every post you type, between the font and link buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.