Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
In some curious advices to talk to deads from a movie, I read:

You are aware of your Self in a way you never have been before. Spread out into it.

What's the meaning of Spread out into it? Does it mean "Get deeper into your Self"?

Thanks

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The meaning is pretty similar to "Get deeper into your self." I would paraphrase it as: examine every part of yourself.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
***NOT A TEACHER***
It is either the dead or the dead ones/people, but not deads, IMO.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why do you want to talk to "dead people from a movie"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I would suggest that if you want to talk to dead people, whether from a movie or not, don't worry too much about the language. There are rather more pressing issues to worry about.

Bushwhacker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I would rather prefer you helping me with the doubt instead of making fun of the lack of a "comma" between "deads" and "from", but OK pals, it has been funny

I would suggest that if you want to talk to dead people, whether from a movie or not, don't worry too much about the language. There are rather more pressing issues to worry about.

Bushwhacker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Thank You for your help

The meaning is pretty similar to "Get deeper into your self." I would paraphrase it as: examine every part of yourself.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In some curious advices to talk to deads from a movie, I read:

You are aware of your Self in a way you never have been before. Spread out into it.

What's the meaning of Spread out into it? Does it mean "Get deeper into your Self"?

Thanks
It depends on the philosophy of the movie. If this is a ghost who does not realise he's dead, or is having trouble "passing over", it might mean, "Let go of yourself, and let yourself fuse with the oneness - which is quite the opposite of focusing on yourself. But I don't give advice to dead people, so I could be wrong.

Bushwhacker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Sorry, those advices are for the living, in order to communicate with dead. Always according to the movie, of course. Thanks for your concern.

It depends on the philosophy of the movie. If this is a ghost who does not realise he's dead, or is having trouble "passing over", it might mean, "Let go of yourself, and let yourself fuse with the oneness - which is quite the opposite of focusing on yourself. But I don't give advice to dead people, so I could be wrong.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Sorry, those advices are for the living, in order to communicate with dead. Always according to the movie, of course. Thanks for your concern.
Did you read post #4 and #3?
Anyhow, there no way of knowing what it really means without knowing the metaphysical principles behind the advice.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

[strike]In some curious advices to talk to deads from a movie, I read:[/strike] I was watching a movie in which someone was being given advice on how to talk to the dead, and I heard:

"You are aware of your Self in a way you never have been before. Spread out into it."

What's the meaning of "Spread out into it"? Does it mean "Get deeper into your Self"?
It's hard to say exactly. I would guess that it means that you need to be completely aware of every single atom of your body. Spread your conscious awareness of your body throughout your entire body while you are trying to contact the dead.

Thanks.

We weren't making fun of your English. We were pointing out a punctuation/word order error and, at the same time, poking slight fun at the idea of getting advice on talking to the dead! See my comments above in red.​

Status
Not open for further replies.