Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Quote from NBCNews:
"Let’s say you’re asked to write a recipe for the most sensational murder trial of the year. It might go something like this:
One charismatic victim.
One smart, sexy defendant.
A dash of religion. A large dollop of sex. Dozens of gra phic photos. An unspeakable act of violence."
My question is :
Does "dollop" here mean "a small amount of something" or "a large amount of something"?

Definition by Webster Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary ,2: a usually small amount of something .
▪ A dollop of milk was left in the container.▪ large dollops of wit and humor
Definition by Macmillan dollop - definition of dollop by Macmillan Dictionary 2 a large amount of something.
You'll need a big dollop of luck to succeed.
So does ""dollop" mean "a small amount of something" or "a large amount of something" or it pretty much depends on the context?
Thanks!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think both the dictionaries you consulted are wrong. This is shown by the fact that their examples apply the adjectives small and large to dollop. To my mind a dollop is a lump or blob, an amorphous mass of something, and it can be small or large.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This is shown by the fact that their examples aooly the adjectives small and large to dollop.
I assume that's a typo., and that it should be 'apply'.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think both the dictionaries you consulted are wrong. This is shown by the fact that their examples aooly the adjectives small and large to dollop. To my mind a dollop is a lump or blob, an amorphous mass of something, and it can be small or large.

Dollop | Define Dollop at Dictionary.com

They're not wrong. Definition 1 is a lump or blob.

The original poster here focused on definition 2 to the exclusion of definition 1.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm a little confused by the example sentence given in definition 1 in post #1. "A dollop of milk was left in the container" is a very unnatural sentence as far as I'm concerned. Once my milk has starting forming "dollops", it's way past its best and should be in the bin! Double cream - now THAT can (and should) come in dollops, and preferably on a lovely sticky dessert, like this:

466011572_9168810573_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.