Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

I want to know does the sentence below make any sense to you?

The heat coefficient is orders of magnitude lower than the corresponding region before the critical heat flux was exceeded, due mainly to the lower thermal conductivity of the vapour.

I just can't understand what means "is orders to"? and the rest of the sentence seems so complicated.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The heat coefficient is orders of magnitude lower than the corresponding region before the critical heat flux was exceeded, due mainly to the lower thermal conductivity of the vapour.
I just can't understand what [STRIKE]means[/STRIKE] "is orders [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] of"[STRIKE]?[/STRIKE] means and the rest of the sentence seems so complicated.
The heat coefficient is many times lower than the equivalent heat coefficient was before the critical heat flux was exceeded. This is mainly caused by the lower thermal conductivity of the vapour.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Orders of magnitude" refers to whether or not the numbers are in the same range, represented by the same number of digits. If one is 7 and the other 3, they are both in the same order of magnitude. But if one is 7 and the other 35, then they are not. If one is 7 and the other 3467, then they are separated by several orders of magnitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.