Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Procedure

1. Slowly stir water into the starch in a 1 quart saucepan
  2. Cook over direct heat while stirring to prevent lumping
  3. Heat to boiling unless mixture appears to start thin. If mixture starts to appear thin, immediately note the temperature and stop heating
  4. If thinning is not apparent, bring to a full boil. Record the boiling temperature
  5. Perform the line spread test
  6. After the line spread test has been performed, place sol in custard cup, cover tightly, and place in a shallow pan of ice water to cool for a second line spread test and evaluation
  7. Label and display

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Imagine following the procedure, and write down your report. We don't do homework here.

Incidentally, it seems to me that the subject line makes much sense. It's impossible to convert an imperative into the past. But I think what I said in my first sentence is what the exercise requires.

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
PS You'll have to do something about item 4. - either 'If thinning had not been apparent, I would have....', or 'As thinning was not apparent, there was no need to...'[.

Item 6 is a bit of a problem, as 'sol' seems to be a typo - unless it really does refer to an obsolete coin!

'line spread test' is also a bit of a problem. I think the recipe is for making some cold dessert (ice cream? - I'm not an expert). Presumably the 'line spread test' involves making a narrow line of the mixture on a cold flat surface, and measuring how fast it spreads. But for the purposes of doing the exercise you don't need to know what it means - it's just a noun phrase, which you copy word-for-word into your report.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.