English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
Hello,

We are a summer academy in the Azores, Portugal (Base5 Summer Academy) and we are looking for 3 different ESL curriculums for our classes. They each would need to be for a 100-hour course: one for beginner, one for intermediate and one for advanced learners.

Our project is taught by volunteering students from some of the best universities in the USA, UK and Canada, such as Yale, Brown, Princeton, Oxford, Cambrige and U.Toronto. The project is mainly for sudents aged 11 to 18 years old, but also for university students and workers.

Can anyone help us with this?

Thank you very much,

Base5 Summer Academy

Ana Bettencourt

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is difficult to know how to respond to this without far more information about what you hope your students will achieve. Are they being prepared for public examinations, learning about the cultures of English-speaking countries, having a good time, or a combination of these and other things?

If it's purely language acquisition, the syllabus of a successful coursebook might be all you need, though with just three levels you might not find that easy. Are your levels in any way at all related to the CEFR levels?

Are you hoping for off-the-shelf curriculums (which may well not be suited to your needs), or are you looking for someone to write curriculums for you? If the latter, I hope you realise that this is work for which most people qualified to do it would expect to be paid for their efforts.

Base5SummerAcademy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
Thank you for replying. No, it's a summer course of 5 weeks. We are looking a combination of these. Yes, we are looking for a A2, B1 and C1. We would rather buy a curriculum already made, since we are short of time. Thank you very much!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you for replying. No, it's a summer course of 5 weeks. We are looking a combination of these. Yes, we are looking for a A2, B1 and C1. We would rather buy a curriculum already made, since we are short of time. Thank you very much!
If you are talking about this summer, then you are fiendishly short of time. If your teachers are untrained students, then you need not only a curriculum for each level, but also a wealth of learning and support materials. The obtaining of a curriculum is only the start.

I cannot think of anything to suggest other than that you simply provide all the learners with a proven coursebook - and all your 'teachers' with a teacher's book for the course.

Base5SummerAcademy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
If you are talking about this summer, then you are fiendishly short of time. If your teachers are untrained students, then you need not only a curriculum for each level, but also a wealth of learning and support materials. The obtaining of a curriculum is only the start.

Thank you! Do you happen to know where we can find the curriculums?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
According to the academy's Facebook page (I couldn't find a website), it was founded in 2011. Presumably then, this is the third summer that you have run this course. What did you do in 2011 and 2012?
If I were the students or teachers on this summer's course, I would be very perturbed to find that there is no curriculum in place at this late stage.

Base5SummerAcademy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
According to the academy's Facebook page (I couldn't find a website), it was founded in 2011. Presumably then, this is the third summer that you have run this course. What did you do in 2011 and 2012?
If I were the students or teachers on this summer's course, I would be very perturbed to find that there is no curriculum in place at this late stage.

In 2011 and in 2012 we din't have any curriculum. The teachers would prepare the classes according to the knowledge of English the students had.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In 2011 and in 2012 we din't have any curriculum. The teachers would prepare the classes according to the knowledge of English the students had.
I think I'd better close this thread before some us older (in age and/or experience) members have an apoplexy.

Status
Not open for further replies.