Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hello everyone !

I have a question a bit complicated to explain. I'm looking for a one word that describes something close to the meaning of the word re-discover.
Discover is used to when you find something new, something that hadn't been knowN untill the moment you discovered it.
So Re-Discovers should have the meaning that you go back to/remember something that it's already familiar with you.

Hm..like you have listened to one song many many times but now you no longer do it. After a long period of time you play the song again and you give a new meaning to (re-discover) it/ find some new qualities. Hope this examples makes it a bit easier to understand what kind of word actually I'm looking for :)

Is there such word ?

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's a charming concept, but sadly I believe there is no such word in English. There ought to be!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I can't think of one, either.

There are a few possible phrases – involving epiphany, dawning, revelation and enlightenment – but not a single word.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello everyone !

I have a question a bit complicated to explain. I'm looking for a one word that describes something close to the meaning of the word re-discover.
Discover is used to when you find something new, something that hadn't been knowN untill the moment you discovered it.
So Re-Discovers should have the meaning that you go back to/remember something that it's already familiar with you.

Hm..like you have listened to one song many many times but now you no longer do it. After a long period of time you play the song again and you give a new meaning to (re-discover) it/ find some new qualities. Hope this examples makes it a bit easier to understand what kind of word actually I'm looking for :)

Is there such word ?

Thanks in advance !
I think the problem is that you want one word to describe a two-part action. First, you have to rediscover the song; then you have to re-evaluate/re-appraise it.
Rover's words are good, but none of them has the element of a second opinion - they could all occur on the first exposure to the song.
"I heard the song for the first time in ten years, and now it meant something completely different to me." I can't think of a single word for that common experience.

PollyBG

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Thank you all !!! Thank you very much !

I asked because of natural curiosity since in my language such word exists and as far as i know , English language is full of words that describe a lot of actions at the same time. Such a pity there isn't a single word for that concept. But thanks for mentioning the collocations in the previous posts. I really would like to expand my vocabulary coz English is a really beautiful language.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

PollyBG

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Преоткривам [preotkrivam]

Literally the translation is : rediscover.
откривам - discover , find out
пре - the English equivalent is the particle "re"

But let me explain the root of the word:
от-кривам
it comes from the word крия, which means "to hide"
"от" usually isn't a particle for turning words into opposite meanings, but in this case when adding it the word gets exactly an opposite meaning of it's original one.
so, откривам = not to hide, reveal, uncover

and when used in phrases about arts or people or even places , it always has the meaning that you find some new qualities.

Most used phrase: "Преоткрий себе си!" = "Get a better understanding of your personality!"

Status
Not open for further replies.