Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Will you help me with these sentences? 1. This car is washed by Dave every day. 2. This car is washed every day by Dave. Orders of adverbs are very difficult to us Japanese...:cry: Which sounds more natural to native speakers?

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
As an NES but not a teacher, both work for me but, to make it simpler and more natural, I would have said that Dave washes the/this car every day.

Regards
R21

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forums, syu-sumi.:-D

The difference is minimal, but #1 puts Dave first, so that could emphasise that he is the one who washes it and not somebody else.

#2 puts every day first, so that could emphasise that he does it every day and not every week.

Please note that a better title would have been
'This car is washed....'

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Rover

syu-sumi

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you for your answer! Use of the passive voice (when or why) is also hard for us...

syu-sumi

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you very much for your answer. I understand it is a matter of emphasis. And I would like to thank you for telling me about titles. I am sorry that I failed to notice the guideline. My PC is new and I have not learned how to use it well. So, as you have noticed, I can't start a new line...

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
If your keyboard has Latin alphabet characters on it, there should be a large key marked "Enter" to jump to a new line.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you for your answer! Use of the passive voice (when or why) is also hard for us...
The passive voice is used (;-)) much less in ordinary conversation and informal writing than some teachers and course books seem to suggest. It is becoming less common even in more formal writing. A rough guide is simply that we do not use the passive unless we do not wish to place emphasis on the performer of the action, or if we do not know who or what the performer is.

Because of my age, I use the passive more than many people. Most people today would have begun this response with the active "We/people/ native speakers/ etc use the passive ...".

Status
Not open for further replies.