• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

ups and downs

1. "ups and downs" denotes "fluctuating change of success and failure", so I doubt if this suits the sentence. Is she really experiencing repetition of success and failure in her college life? I guess the writer could be a Korean, making a mistake. It would be better to say "diversity" or something. Or "ups and downs" could have such meaning as well. What do you think?
    2. What does "minor celebrity" mean here"? "semi" or "second class"?
    3. Does "communications" here mean "mass communications" like a journalist or something? I couldn't find such meaning in a dictionary except "mobile or technology communication".
    Sorry for many questions.

44)Dominique Noel is a young Quebecois college student who has become a sort of local celebrity in Korea thaks to her part on the popular television talk show "Misuda", which is known in English as "Talking with Beauties."
    Now that she lives in Korea, she's enjoying the ups and downs of college life like any other student. She has joined clubs, hung out with her Korean friends, and learned to speak the language quite well. Although she is enjoying her second career as a minor celebrity on a popular television program, these days Dominique is doing her best....Dominique is interested in becoming involved in either in the field of communications or broadcasting, citing radio show host and event planner as two possible careers in her future.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Costa Rica

Re: ups and downs

1. I think "ups and downs" could be the cycle of success and failure definition, or something like the pleasures and challenges of college life.
    2. "Minor celebrity" means she is famous, but not very famous.
    3.Communications is a career that a lot of kids study in college, but I don't know much about it.

:) Hope this helps.
    www.EFLJournal.com
    A free email English guide!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: ups and downs

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    1. "ups and downs" denotes "fluctuating change of success and failure", so I doubt if this suits the sentence. Is she really experiencing repetition of success and failure in her college life? (Yes. Most people experience ups and downs in their life. She could, for example, get a high score on a math test in the morning and flunk a history test in the afternoon) I guess the writer could be a Korean, making a mistake. It would be better to say "diversity" or something. Or "ups and downs" could have such meaning as well. What do you think?
    2. What does "minor celebrity" mean here"? "semi" or "second class"? (A major celebrity is known in many places. The American movie star, John Wayne, was known to people around the world. A minor celebrity may be someone who is only known in a small area, or, who has not yet attained the status of a major celebrity)
    3. Does "communications" here mean "mass communications" like a journalist or something? I couldn't find such meaning in a dictionary except "mobile or technology communication". (This is such a wide field it is difficult to say with any precision. Suffice it to to say that she hopes to work in a field which delivers messages. This may be in: advertising, journalism, copywriting, and on, and on)

Sorry for many questions.

44)Dominique Noel is a young Quebecois college student who has become a sort of local celebrity in Korea thaks to her part on the popular television talk show "Misuda", which is known in English as "Talking with Beauties."
    Now that she lives in Korea, she's enjoying the ups and downs of college life like any other student. She has joined clubs, hung out with her Korean friends, and learned to speak the language quite well. Although she is enjoying her second career as a minor celebrity on a popular television program, these days Dominique is doing her best....Dominique is interested in becoming involved in either in the field of communications or broadcasting, citing radio show host and event planner as two possible careers in her future.
    Gil