• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Take after

In a movie, brother and sister have sex. She becomes pregnant, and is about to marry someone else called John. The brother doesn't want it blamed on him. After saying to his sister she keeps the mouth shut, he says to her:

I ain't letting John take after Pa 'cause of this.

What i don't understand is this "take after" here.

Can "take after" mean other things than meaning "resembling someone"? "Take after" doesn't seem to make any sense in this circumstance.

Thank You for the help
    Last edited by Bushwhacker; 16-May-2013 at 12:44.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Take after

I don't understand it either. Perhaps he's using 'take after' to mean 'get into a fight with'; in that case I'd have expected something like 'I ain't having John come after Pa 'cause of this'. But that would itself be odd: why should John 'have it out with' the father rather than the son? Perhaps this was set in some culture that expected a father to 'supply' a virgin daughter for a wedding*...

b

*PS In which case, the culture seriously overestimates a father's power over his daughter
    Last edited by BobK; 16-May-2013 at 15:49. Reason: Duplicate

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Re: Take after

Thanks a lot. Your proposal makes more sense, because all that story is taking place in a rough rural environment with atavistic mores. Maybe they don't talk properly and "take after" is for "come after." Grateful for your concern.

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I don't understand it either. Perhaps he's using 'take after' to mean 'get into a fight with'; in that case I'd have expected something like 'I ain't having John come after Pa 'cause of this'. But that would itself be odd: why should John 'have it out with' the father rather than the son? Perhaps this was set in some culture that expected a father to 'supply' a virgin daughter for a wedding*...

b

*PS In which case, the culture seriously overestimates a father's power over his daughter