Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1.Give me the hot food
2.Give the hot food to me
3.give it hot to me ( here 'it' refer to 'the food')
my question is that do the three sentences above carry the same meaning? and is the adjective 'hot' after 'it' here a attributive, postpositive, or predicative adjective? If i make any mistakes in course of writing please forgive me.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
1 & 2 are fine. The third doesn't work.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. Give me the hot food.
2. Give the hot food to me.
3. Give it hot to me. (Here, 'it' refers to 'the food'.)

My question is [strike]that[/strike] - do the three sentences above carry the same meaning? [strike]and[/strike] Also, is the adjective 'hot' after 'it' here an attributive, postpositive, or predicative adjective? If I [strike]make[/strike] any mistakes in the course of writing, please forgive me.

You don't need to be forgiven for making mistakes when writing, but we will correct them as I have done above in red. Remember to start every sentence with a capital letter and to capitalise the word "I" at all times.

As Tdol said, 1 and 2 are grammatically correct. 3 is not.
1 and 2 assume that there is a specific hot food you are referring to. For example, if you are looking at a food counter and there is a plate of cold food and a plate of hot food, you would say "[Please] give me the hot food" because you want to differentiate it from the cold food. The same applies to 2.

With a slight change to the word order, 3 could be used as "Give it to me hot". For example, there might be a panini (type of bread) filled with ham and cheese. It is possible to eat that either hot or cold. It is probably cold in the shop but they might have a machine which heats it up. So when you take the sandwich to the till to pay for it, they might say "Do you want that cold or heated up?" Then you could reply "[Please] give it to me hot" to indicate that you want them to heat it up for you.

Babai

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You don't need to be forgiven for making mistakes when writing, but we will correct them as I have done above in red. Remember to start every sentence with a capital letter and to capitalise the word "I" at all times.

As Tdol said, 1 and 2 are grammatically correct. 3 is not.
1 and 2 assume that there is a specific hot food you are referring to. For example, if you are looking at a food counter and there is a plate of cold food and a plate of hot food, you would say "[Please] give me the hot food" because you want to differentiate it from the cold food. The same applies to 2.

With a slight change to the word order, 3 could be used as "Give it to me hot". For example, there might be a panini (type of bread) filled with ham and cheese. It is possible to eat that either hot or cold. It is probably cold in the shop but they might have a machine which heats it up. So when you take the sandwich to the till to pay for it, they might say "Do you want that cold or heated up?" Then you could reply "[Please] give it to me hot" to indicate that you want them to heat it up for you.
But i have read in a grammar book that adjectives always place after the pronoun they modify and before the noun such as ''something useful'' Ex- Do something good, here 'it' is a kind of pronoun then why can non i use 'hot' after 'it'? can you explain it in more detail please?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We just don't use "it" in exactly the same way.

Give me that sock. :tick:
Give me that blue sock. :tick:
There is a blue sock over there. Give me it. :tick:
Give me the blue it. :cross:

"Give me it hot" works in the same way as "Give me it now".
- Give me it.
- When/how would you like me to give it to you?
- Now/hot.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
We just don't use "it" in exactly the same way.

Give me that sock. :tick:
Give me that blue sock. :tick:
There is a blue sock over there. Give me it. :tick:
Give me the blue it. :cross:

"Give me it hot" works in the same way as "Give me it now".
- Give me it.
- When/how would you like me to give it to you?
- Now/hot.

I think I've read/heard "Give me that," but I'm not really sure about "Give me it."
Does it really work?
(I'm sorry to butt in.)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I think I've read/heard "Give me that," but I'm not really sure about "Give me it."
Does it really work?
(I'm sorry to butt in.)
I'd almost always say, "Give it to me". "Give me it" is possible, and it's used occasionally, but it sounds odd to me.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It might be BrE, but you'll hear give me it in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.