• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

My Grammar Questions

1. We ... at the resort by now, but we're still in the middle of nowhere. Are you sure the turn we took was right?
    a. could arrive b. must have arrived c. would rather arrive d. should have arrived e. will have arrived
    I know the correct answer is probably ''b'' but I've seen some ''should'' uses like ''You should be safe here, He should have been here by now.'' I know ''should'' doesn't have ''assuming, possibility'' meanings like ''must'' does, aren't I right? I'd like to be sure of this.

2. It is just one country about ... poverty little is done by rich countries.
    a. where b. those c. there d. whose e. which
    Under grammatical circumstances it seems to be ''d'' but I can't make out any sense.

3. The plane ... at noon; I wonder what could have happened to it.
    a. was to have arrived b. could arrive d. ought to arrive d. must have arrived e. had arrived
    This one must be ''a'' because there is expectation rather than assumption(option d).

4. She amazed audiences for years ...(1) her proficiency ...(2) firearms
    4.1 a. for b. wtih c. in d. at e. upon
    4.2 a. to b. at c. on d. of e. through
    I think true ones are ''d'' and ''b''

Thank you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: My Grammar Questions

Please ask one question per thread. Threads can get very messy when different people respond to different questions. I'll just look at your first question.
    Quote Originally Posted by lfthnLl View Post
    1. We ... at the resort by now, but we're still in the middle of nowhere. Are you sure the turn we took was right?
    a. could arrive b. must have arrived c. would rather arrive d. should have arrived e. will have arrived
    I know the correct answer is probably ''b'' but I've seen some ''should'' uses like ''You should be safe here, He should have been here by now.'' I know ''should'' doesn't have ''assuming, possibility'' meanings like ''must'' does, aren't I right? I'd like to be sure of this.
    It is clear that the speaker has not arrived at the resort. #b is therefore not possible - that means 'it is logically certain that we have arrived'. #d is the answer. - There was an expectation of our arrival, but it has not materialised.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: My Grammar Questions

1. The speaker has not yet arrived at the resort but believes that he should already be there. D.

2. Rich countires are doing little about the poverty in this country. D.

3. The plane was expected at noon, but it has not yet arrived. A. The problem with D is that it is in the present tense. It would be correct as "ought to have arrived".

4.1 B. She amazed them "with".
    4.2 I don't like any of the choices. I would choose "with". One is proficient with firearms. If one does not want to use "with" twice in a row, the first could be "by".