Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
1-The policeman was badly beaten up.
2-The policeman was beaten up badly.

Is there a difference in the meanings of "1" and "2"?
Does "1" describe a state? Could it be depicting an action (He got beaten up badly/).
Does "2" depict an action? Could it depict a state (he was in a badly beaten up state).

3-The policeman seemed badly beaten up.
4-The policeman seemed beaten up badly.

Are "3" and "4" both correct? He seemed to have been beaten up badly.

Gratefully,
Navi.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Neither 3 nor 4 sound very natural but only because it sounds strange to me to say that someone "seemed" beaten up. I might say that he "looks as if he has been beaten up".

With 1 and 2, it's one of those constructions that you can always argue is ambiguous but common sense has to prevail. You will hear both "He has been badly beaten [up]" and "He has been beaten [up] [very] badly". Some will argue that both could suggest that the person doing the beating did a very poor job and probably missed with many of his/her kicks and punches and therefore the victim is actually not in a bad way. However, we have to consider the likelihood of someone actually saying that about an attacker. It is far more likely with both sentences 1 and 2 that what the speaker means is that the victim has suffered a severe beating.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
With 1 and 2, it's one of those constructions that you can always argue is ambiguous but common sense has to prevail.

That's right.

Compare: 'My hair needs cutting badly' and 'My hair badly needs cutting'.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have no problem with any of them. In the first two, the extent of the beating was stated as fact. In the second two, the observer lacks confirmation. A bloody nose, for example may look worse than it is because of the amount of blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.