• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Hi! Please, do help me!!!

I am writing a paper in Linguistics and Iím badly in need of your assistance. I need to validate the data on the topic of my research paper.
    I am really pressed for time. Would you be so kind as to answer my questionnaire (and if itís possible ask your friends or relatives to fill in their answers).
    Please, do help me!!!

LANGUAGE USE QUESTIONNAIRE
    Background Information
    Age __________ Sex M / F Mother Tongue ___________________

Directions: Please write your response in the blank area. Do not spend a lot of time thinking about what answer you think you should provide; instead, please respond as naturally as possible and try to write your response as you feel you would say it in the situation.

1. You are at unknown place. You need to know how to get to the place, where your friends are waiting for you. You see a man who can help you. What would you say?
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
    2. You are thirsty. You are at the cafe. You want some water. What would you say?
    3. You are in a hurry and you know that your colleague, Jack, has a car. So ask him for a lift. What would you say?
    4. Today you have an important meeting with the employer but you have missed the train. What would you say when you come?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Hi! Please, do help me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tetyasya View Post
    I am writing a paper in Linguistics and I’m badly in need of your assistance. I need to validate the data on the topic of my research paper.
    I am really pressed for time. Would you be so kind as to answer my questionnaire (and if it’s possible ask your friends or relatives to fill in their answers).
    Please, do help me!!!

LANGUAGE USE QUESTIONNAIRE
    Background Information
    Age 44 Sex F Mother Tongue British English

Directions: Please write your response in the blank area. Do not spend a lot of time thinking about what answer you think you should provide; instead, please respond as naturally as possible and try to write your response as you feel you would say it in the situation.

1. You are at unknown place. You need to know how to get to the place, where your friends are waiting for you. You see a man who can help you. What would you say?
    Excuse me/Hi/Hello. Can you tell me how to get to [name of place where my friends are]?

2. You are thirsty. You are at the cafe. You want some water. What would you say?
    Can I get/have a glass/jug of [tap/mineral] water please?

3. You are in a hurry and you know that your colleague, Jack, has a car. So ask him for a lift. What would you say?
    Can I have a lift please, Jack?

4. Today you have an important meeting with the employer but you have missed the train. What would you say when you come?
    I'm assuming you mean "Today you have an important meeting with your/an employer but you missed the train. What would you say when you [finally] arrive? If that's what you mean, then I would say:
    I'm so sorry I missed the meeting. My train was cancelled.
    (Yes, I would lie about simply missing the train. It sounds better to say that the train was cancelled.)

You would have been better off making a quick SurveyMonkey survey for this, but my answers are above in red.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Re: Hi! Please, do help me!!!

Thank you very much)