Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear teachers

Need your help. A couple of English words in the below video I don't understand (in brackets).

Hong Kong Chief Secretary David Ford lashes back at lawmakers - YouTube
0:52: It was an unprecedented "mood"
0:56: That day were "built down"
1:00: Mr Lee and Mr Pang "do a grey" to service

Could you please advise?

Regards

Anthony the learner

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The captions are inaccurate.

0:52 - move
0:56 - would go down
1:00 - do a grave disservice

patran

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The captions are inaccurate.

0:52 - move
0:56 - would go down
1:00 - do a grave disservice

Great thanks!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
papran, your thanks are appreciated but your click on the Like button was sufficient. There is no need to send a separate post or quote our replies back to us.

The reason is that it is flagged as a new post, so we think you might have a follow-up question or something to add. Those of us with slow internet connections and/or old computers have to waste valuable time waiting for it to appear.

Thank you.

Rover

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sounds to me like a standard Home Counties British accent (somewhere from the south-eastern corner or London). He is very well-spoken, verging on posh.

patran

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Sounds to me like a standard Home Counties British accent (somewhere from the south-eastern corner or London). He is very well-spoken, verging on posh.

Dear EMSR, thanks for your feedback. So what is "Home Countries" British accent? Just want to confirm, you are referring to 1) "0:47 to 0:57", or 2) "0:57 to 1:20"? Or what is the differences between the accents of 1) and 2)? I am only curious. Look forward to your advice.

Regards

Anthony the learner

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was talking about David Ford's accent which is what you asked us to listen to. It's "Home Counties" (not "Countries") which, as I said in my previous post, refers to the south-east corner of the UK. The counties in question are usually accepted to be East Sussex, West Sussex and Kent, Buckinghamshire, Essex, Hampshire. He could be from a different part of the country and have trained himself to speak in this accent. In the past, that accent was deemed the most acceptable and respectable. The same does not really apply now and most politicians and people in the public eye simply speak with their natural regional accent.

Edit: Found this on Wikipedia.

patran

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear EMSR, thanks for your insights, link and correction. A follow-up question, what accent is the voice-over before David Ford starts speaking? That is, from 0:47 to 0:57? Thanks very much.

Regards

Anthony

I was talking about David Ford's accent which is what you asked us to listen to. It's "Home Counties" (not "Countries") which, as I said in my previous post, refers to the south-east corner of the UK. The counties in question are usually accepted to be East Sussex, West Sussex and Kent, Buckinghamshire, Essex, Hampshire. He could be from a different part of the country and have trained himself to speak in this accent. In the past, that accent was deemed the most acceptable and respectable. The same does not really apply now and most politicians and people in the public eye simply speak with their natural regional accent.

Edit: Found this on Wikipedia.

Status
Not open for further replies.