Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I wonder if we need to add "the" for an object's possession when we write it in the "XX of YY" form. Say, the dresses of Mary, the cows of China, the apples of Canada, the students of this school, etc. I asked one native Englsih speaker about this and she said YES because the things in front of "of" are well-defined (they belong to the latter things). Would like more native English speakers to confirm this. Thank you!

a_vee

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Costa Rica
Yes. You're talking about something that is unique in this world. It's the same idea as "The Pacific Ocean" and "The President of Mexico".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
On the other hand, if talking about something that is not "definite" then we would use the indefinite article. He is a friend of mine.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And if you got rid of the article completely, you could have something like "Friends of the owner attended the party". Here, we would assume it meant "Some friends of the owner".

I would like to point out that things like "the dresses of Mary" and "the apples of Canada" are unnatural. The first would be worded "Mary's dresses" and the second would be "Canadian apples" - a country doesn't own a type of fruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.