Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Sometimes when girls are walking on the street, some boys walk after them and follow them. They don't mean to be rude to the girls, but they just want to have fun and probably make friends (if everything goes well). They try to get the girls' attention by using some funny and interesting words / phrases in a humorous way.
I want to know what these words / phrases are and how I can speak about it, please.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

This will have some regional variations.

A general term for this is "to flirt with".
He tried to flirt with Mary the first time he saw her at a party.
She likes flirting with the boys in her class.

Where I live, a common term for what you describe is "to chat up".
I saw a group of boys trying to chat up the girls in the mall.
At parties he spends most of his time chatting up the girls.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There is no specific set of words or terminology for boys walking behind girls in the street and saying funny things, though. If they're not remotely romantically interested in the girls, then they're not chatting them up or flirting with them. Or is that what you meant by "they want to probably make friends (if everything goes well)"? We don't flirt with or chat up people if we want to be their friend. We do it if we want to start dating them (or at least have some kind of romantic liaison with them).

Note that this is not gender-specific. It's just as possible for girls to flirt and to chat people up. Boys can flirt with girls or boys and vice versa.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you JMurray and emsr2d2.
I'd be really pleased if you can help me more. Is there any other possible word / phrase?
As I said, the making fun part of that is more dominant. Boys just do it to have fun, to make the girls smile and laugh.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't think of anything. When boys and girls just talk to each other, whether they're being funny or not, it's just chat. Chit-chat. We certainly don't have a special word for when boys are being funny with girls (as opposed to girls being funny with boys/girls).

Bear in mind the difference between being funny and making fun. "Being funny" will make someone laugh. "Making fun of someone" is mean and won't make the person laugh.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
They don't mean to be rude to the girls, but they just want to have fun and probably make friends (if everything goes well). They try to get the girls' attention by using some funny and interesting words/phrases in a humorous way.

not a teacher

I take the gist of the OP's question to be: "What phrases or words do we use to describe boys approaching girls (or vice versa) in a friendly way and trying to make their acquaintance with humorous and clever talk". In my opinion this would serve as a good definition of "to chat up" in many situations.
As I say, this may be a regional thing.

Also, although it often implies an ulterior motive of some sort, I don't agree that "chat up" needs to always suggest a romantic intention.
There are several definitions and examples online that indicate broader usages that I'm familiar with.

Dictionary.com:
2) to talk to in a friendly, open way.
Engage in light, friendly talk, as in, "He was soon chatting up all the board members".

Collinsdictionary.com
2) to talk persuasively to (a person), esp. with an ulterior motive.
"And whenever he is on the road, he takes some time out to chat up local journalists".

Vocabulary.com quotes Slate (Feb. 2013):"Instead, bored kids waiting in line for a Little Mermaid ride will get chatted up by an animatronic seagull".

…etc.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I think that the point may have been missed. I believe the OP wants the actual lines which are used to chat up women, since the other question has been adequately answered. Also he said that the men use "some funny and interesting words / phrases in a humorous way. I want to know what these words / phrases are...."
Is that what you mean English4everyone?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I believe the OP wants the actual lines which are used to chat up women, since the other question has been adequately answered. Also he said that the men use "some funny and interesting words / phrases in a humorous way. I want to know what these words / phrases are...."
Ah. How about -

This is what you've wanted, dear,
5jj at last is here.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ah. How about -

This is what you've wanted, dear,
5jj at last is here.
If that's the best you've got to say,
the girls will turn and run away! :up:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Boys:

Hello girls, and how are you?
We'd really like to talk to you!
If you're bored, just let us know.
We'll make you giggle - ho, ho, ho.

Girls:

Well, hello boys, we're doing fine
Without you stringing us a line.
But if you're bored, just tell us straight
We can make you feel great!

I have no idea why we've all decided that boys and girls chat to each other in verse, but given that what I know about how teenagers talk to each other on the way home from school you could write on the back of a postage stamp, this is a much more fun way to make it up!

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Boys:

Hello girls, and how are you?
We'd really like to talk to you!
If you're bored, just let us know.
We'll make you giggle - ho, ho, ho.

Girls:

Well, hello boys, we're doing fine
Without you stringing us a line.
But if you're bored, just tell us straight
We can make you feel great!

I have no idea why we've all decided that boys and girls chat to each other in verse, but given that what I know about how teenagers talk to each other on the way home from school you could write on the back of a postage stamp, this is a much more fun way to make it up!
Ems, you might want to consider keeping your day job!! :cool: ;-)

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I think that the point may have been missed. I believe the OP wants the actual lines which are used to chat up women, since the other question has been adequately answered. Also he said that the men use "some funny and interesting words / phrases in a humorous way. I want to know what these words / phrases are...."
Is that what you mean English4everyone?
Thanks everybody for your help.
Actually I'm not after the words / phrases / sentences that are exchanged between boys and girls. I want to know what this phenomenon is called and it seems "chat up" is the best.
Example:
When we were going home from school, we saw some really cute girls. Shaahin (my friend) suggested having some fun so we walked after the girls through the park and ............. but they kept ignoring us. I'm sure they were smiling at what we were saying, especially one of them that I really liked was just smiling / laughing at my ................... (what I was saying). I think she liked me or at least my ................ .
I think the 2nd and 3rd gaps need the same word, and the 1st one must be a verb.

Status
Not open for further replies.