I do not simply see them as hobbies or possible life careers for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhelum

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"I do not simply see them as hobbies or possible life careers for me, but an indispensable part of my life."

Is there anything wrong with this sentence? It sounds kind of weird to me but I can't see where the problem is.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"I do not simply see them as hobbies or possible life careers for me, but an indispensable part of my life."

Is there anything wrong with this sentence? It sounds kind of wired to me but I can't see where the problem is.

Are you sure it sounds "wired"?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The sentence is grammatical, though I don't understand the difference between life career and indispensable part of one's life.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Simply is misplaced. Your placement of the adverb allows the possibility that there may be a more complicated or sophisticated way of seeing.

I think what you want is "I simply do not see ..." This usage adds emphasis by suggesting that it would be pointless to propose other reasons for the fact that I do not see. It means "I don't get it. Topic closed."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The sentence is grammatical, though I don't understand the difference between life career and indispensable part of one's life.
Well, in my case, English grammar, western films, (and alcohol and nicotine), have been indispensable parts of my life, but none turned out to be a life career (though alcohol came close at times ;-)).

jhelum

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks for the correction emsr2d2. I can almost never spell the word right. So weird.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Simply is misplaced. Your placement of the adverb allows the possibility that there may be a more complicated or sophisticated way of seeing.

I think what you want is "I simply do not see ..." This usage adds emphasis by suggesting that it would be pointless to propose other reasons for the fact that I do not see. It means "I don't get it. Topic closed."
I agree that 'simply' is misplaced. But I think it still is. I think what is meant is:
"I do not see them simply as hobbies ...", even though there's nothing simple about a possible life career.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for the correction emsr2d2. I can almost never spell the word right. So weird.

One of my students remembered the spelling by pointing out that she and her friends were quite weird. She would say "We're weird". She could always spell "We're" so she just remembered that the first two letters of both words are the same and then she had no trouble remembering the rest. I know these little tricks don't work for everyone but it's worth a try.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I remember that the word "weird" is an exception to the "i before e except after c" rule. So the spelling is weird. :-?

Status
Not open for further replies.