Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
some problems with different MCQs based on grammer

......alot of stories were made into films , weren't they? (quitely -- quite -- quiet

2-My brother said that he(will go -- was going) on holiday the following week

3-Most southern European Countries have (a similar --a regular --alike) climate :Hot in summer and cold in winter

4-I (might -- can) go swimming tomorrow . It's possible.

5-New homes will have(been found - to be found) for people whose houses where damaged in the hurricane

6-English (will be - must have been) spoken by half of the world's population by 2050

7-I can't come with you (but - although) I'd like to

8-Sham El nessim is mainly a day (when -- in which) families spend the day together in the open air

9-When I walked past the bus stop again , she was still waiting.The bus(didn't come - hadn't come)

10-Ali ate a sandwich during the game because he(didn't have - hadn't had)enough time to eat before it started

11-My father retired last week .He(had worked - has been working) for the same company all his life

12-Last year,I spent a month in France.I(had dreamed - have dreamed)of going there since I was child

13-Leila and her husband moved into their own flat last weekend.Before that,they(lived --had lived)with Leila's parents

14-when we got up that morning ,there was sand all over the streets.there(had been - has been) a storm

15-suzi (was looking - looks)scornfully at whatever her friends wear as if she was wearing something different

16-He used to be a friendly assistant.He (had - has) worked for me since he was 20

17-Writers (speak - have spoken) for their age. for this I like books that view history

18-I(had planted - planted) the tree then i Watered it

19-he now uses his money to lead a life of leisure that he(never used - has never used)to afford

20-I wish I(knew - had known) where this embassy was.However,We can ask a taxi driver

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. Here's how the forum works:

1) You post one question per thread.
2) You try to answer the question yourself first. Tell us what you think the answer is and why and then we comment.
3) We cannot help with homework.

Mohamed.Maher

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
*it is not a Home Work i'm only training for my exam
*My answers to these questions are different from guide answer so i want to check the correct answers with a teacher here in the forum
*i can't make 20 threads for 20 questions (it'll be also against rules of forum ) :D
*I'm sorry if there are too many questions ..
thanks in advance

*My solutions :
1-quite
2-was going (indirect)
3-a simillar
4-might (possible -->might)
5-to be found (passive)
6-will be (future simple 2050) and there isn't future perfect in the choices
7-although
8-when (when = on which not in which)
9-didn't come
10-hadn't had (an action before the other one in the past)
11-had worked (the first sentence in the past so i think has been working can't be true)
12-had dreamt (same reason as 11)
13-had lived (before that here = after)and the action after it happened first
14-had been same reason as 11
15-was looking
16-had (same reason as 11)
17-speak (general case)
18-had planted (first action in the past)
19-never used (i don't think that "has + never used to " is right)
20-knew (situation happens in the present as i know that from "we can ask a taxi driver)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
*it is not [strike]a[/strike] [strike]Home Work[/strike] homework, I'm only training for my exam.
My answers to these questions are different from the guide answers so I want to check the correct answers with a teacher here in the forum.
I can't make 20 threads for 20 questions ([strike]it'll be also[/strike] it would be against the rules of the forum. [strike]) :D[/strike]
I'm sorry if there are too many questions.
Thanks in advance.

*My solutions :
1-quite :tick:
2-was going (indirect) :tick:
3-a simillar :tick:
4-might (possible -->might) :tick:
5-to be found (passive) :tick:
6-will be (future simple 2050 (what does 2050 mean?)) and there isn't a future perfect in the choices :tick:
7-although :tick: (Both answers are possible)
8-when (when = on which not in which) :tick: (and I agree, it should be "on which")
9-didn't come :cross:
10-hadn't had (an action before the other one in the past) :tick:
11-had worked (the first sentence is in the past so I think "has been working" can't be [strike]true[/strike] correct) :tick:
12-had dreamt (same reason as 11) :tick:
13-had lived (before that here = after)and the action after it happened first :cross:
14-had been same reason as 11 :tick:
15-was looking :cross: (it refers to a habitual action)
16-had (same reason as 11) Impossible to answer. He might still work for you but no longer be friendly. Or he might no longer work for you but when he did, he was friendly.
17-speak (general case) :tick:
18-had planted (first action in the past) :cross: (although you will hear both, "planted" is much more likely)
19-never used (I don't think that "has + never used to " is right) Terrible question. It should be "... he never use to be able to afford".
20-knew (situation happens in the present as I know that from "we can ask a taxi driver) :tick:

I have marked your answers either right or wrong above. Please note that I didn't look at your explanation of why you thought so as there were too many questions so I have only checked your answers.

Where did you get the idea that it's against the rules of the forum to post twenty separate questions? If your questions are unconnected, as yours are, you should ask them one at a time. Post question 1, wait for some answers, then move on to question 2. On this occasion, I have dealt with all 20 but please don't do the same thing in the future.

Please look at the amendments I made to your post, also in red. Remember the rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark.
- Capitalise the word "I" (first person singular) at all times.
- Capitalise proper nouns, but do not capitalise common nouns.

Mohamed.Maher

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Thanks very much.I'm sorry for that disturbance,I'll not do that again.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks very much. I'm sorry for that disturbance, I'll not do that again.

Another rule of written English: always put a space after a full stop or a comma. I have corrected your post so you can see how it should look.

Mohamed.Maher

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
*Can you give me an explanation to number 13?
*In number 15 : How is it a habitual action although there is a sentence in the past tense which is "as if she was wearing something different"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
15 - suzi (was looking - looks) scornfully at whatever her friends wear

It doesn't matter what the end of the sentence says. The relevant parts are "whatever" and "her friends wear".

Suzi looks scornfully at whatever her friends wear.
Suzi was looking scornfully at what her friends were wearing.

"Whatever" would be completely inappropriate if speaking about one specific past event.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I think it is not grammatical to say "... he never use to be able to afford," is it?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We don't say "I used to afford better cars".

Mohamed.Maher

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
What about #13 ?
Why have you chosen "lived" instead of "had lived" although there is an action happened before the other one in the past in the sentence?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What about #13 ?
Why have you chosen "lived" instead of "had lived" although there is an action happened before the other one in the past in the sentence?

It would be nice if you would consider "Liking" or thanking me for the work I have done already, before demanding answers to another question.

Mohamed.Maher

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I have made 3 Likes for 3 posts of you in this topic, I'm sorry at all.
I really appreciate your help and thanks very much not only for the 20 questions but also for reminding me of the punctuation rules.
I want to tell you one thing : As a teacher the best reward for you is that when you find someone learned from you and I have learned a lot of things. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.