Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Hello,

Rightly or wrongly, I instinctively (as a non-native) say,

"She has always been such a difficult child. She was throwing another tantrum this morning too."

But I can't answer myself WHY I would use Past Continuous in this sentence. If my instinct is correct, can someone please give me a grammatical reason for the usage?

If I'm wrong, can you please explain why?

And can you please have a look at the following sentences and the tenses? (FYI, these are made-up sentences, I don't believe in spanking.)

Molly was having another one of her tantrums this morning. So I gave her a spank. She has always been a difficult child. But I have had enough!

Thank you.

Nawee

Last edited:

EnglishFix

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Chile
Hi Nawee, this is an interesting question.

I think it is correct because you are describing an action that is in progress (a tantrum) at a specific time (this morning).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If the tantrum is over and you are relaying the events later in the day, then "She threw another tantrum this morning" would be the appropriate use of tense - past simple. However, if you combine it with another simultaneous event then you could use the past continuous - "She was throwing another tantrum when I went into her room this morning". The tantrum was ongoing at the time of the other action (that of you entering her room).

naweewra

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Can't the tantrum be the background/reason and the spanking interrupted her tantrum? Something along this line:

He was looking for a pen. So I lent him mine.

Nawee

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Can't the tantrum be the background/reason and the spanking interrupted her tantrum? Something along this line:

He was looking for a pen. So I lent him mine.

Nawee
Yes it can. I'd assume ems was answering your first question, which doesn't include a subsequent action.

Status
Not open for further replies.