• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

came to the rescue

Does "to the rescue" 's "to" signify "result" or "purpose"?
    I mean "the cat came and as a result saved the puppy" or "the cat came to save the puppy"? I think it could be both or either depending on context.

41)Charlie was born at an animal shelter. His mom was too sick to nurse him, so the workers there struggled to keep the puppy healthy by bottle-feeding him every two hours. Luckily, Satin the cat came to the rescue. This cat was nursing her own kittens, and the exhausted workers hoped she might be willing to add one more to her family. Surprisingly, Satin loved Charlie when he was put together with her
    kittens. The cat fed the puppy for three and a half weeks. Her kittens welcomed him like a brother, wrestling and sleeping with him. Even when the puppy grew, the cat still mothered him. He is twice her size now and she still cares for him.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: came to the rescue

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Does "to the rescue" 's "to" signify "result" or "purpose"?
    I mean "the cat came and as a result saved the puppy" or "the cat came to save the puppy"? I think it could be both or either depending on context.

41)Charlie was born at an animal shelter. His mom was too sick to nurse him, so the workers there struggled to keep the puppy healthy by bottle-feeding him every two hours. Luckily, Satin the cat came to the rescue. This cat was nursing her own kittens, and the exhausted workers hoped she might be willing to add one more to her family. Surprisingly, Satin loved Charlie when he was put together with her
    kittens. The cat fed the puppy for three and a half weeks. Her kittens welcomed him like a brother, wrestling and sleeping with him. Even when the puppy grew, the cat still mothered him. He is twice her size now and she still cares for him.
    The mother cat didn't come on purpose. The text indicates that the workers put the cat and the puppy together (...when he was put together with her kittens.)