[Grammar] Have you ever heard the story? = Did you hear the story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Have you ever heard the story?
= Did you hear the story?

A: Is she here?
B: She has gone out.
= She went out.

There has been an accident.
= There was an accident.

I have learned about the difference between the past tense and the present perfect tense a lot and my grammar book also says some native English speakers, especially some Americans use both tenses for the same meaning like the examples above, so I would like to know if you agree with this? I think that they could be used for the same meaning regardless of grammar difference. What do you think?

Thank you.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, but I speak British English. (If some national variants choose not to make what I see as a useful distinction, that's their lookout. ;-))

b

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No.

If she "has gone out" it affects the present. She is still out.
You could say "She went out earlier but she's back now." Or you could say "She went out three hours ago and still hasn't come home."

The second pair COULD be used in the same situation. You come across a scene: What happened?? or What's happened?? But you could have had or seen that accident 20 years ago. Our trip to the mountains didn't turn out as expected. There was an accident on the road ahead. We took a detour and...

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not sure why you have an "ever" in the one and not in the other. "Did you ever hear the story?" is equivalent to "have you ever heard the story?"

"She has gone out" and "she went out" are semantically the same to me, absent more context. If I walk into an office and ask where Sue is, I could expect either answer. They both mean "she isn't here right now."

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is one of many situations in which the past and the present perfect can have the same meaning. There is a lot of overlap.

Status
Not open for further replies.