• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Unhappy that which!

I've found an odd combination: that which.
    I've been searching to find out what may it mean but, it's a big pity Google didn't helm me at all.
    Here an example, You will forgive me for such a long boring text but I'm really in trouble whit the meaning of underlined part of text in violet.
    I would appreciate any help:

An economic decision, like any other decision, can be divided in three basic stages: a moment to gather relevant information, including values and beliefs socially and culturally transmitted; a moment to screen this information; and, finally, a moment to produce the decision based on the information gathered. Admitting the reductive character of the following binary classification, this decision can be taken according to either a scientific rationality or a democratic rationality. By scientific rationality one should understand that which is based on knowledge obtained by means of rigorous procedures, demonstrable and susceptible of being reproduced, and that which allows the testing of hypotheses and the interpreting of results which are intended to be objective.

P.S. I would like to know what the word " which" or "that which" referrs to?

Thanks
    Last edited by Sepmre; 31-May-2013 at 11:01.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: that which!

'That which' can usually be replaced with 'what'.

'...one should understand what is based on knowledge...and what allows the testing of hypotheses...'