Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 75
    #1

    "how is it like..." vs "how does it feel...." what's the difference?

    Hi, all:

    I'm a Chinese and I'd love to know the differences between these two expressions:

    "how is like ..." vs "how does it feel..."

    From what I googled, "how is like" can be followed by "doing something" or "to do something", while "how does it feel" can only be followed by "to do something". For instance:

    How is it like working at APPLE?
    How is it like to work at APPLE?

    How does it feel to work at Apple?

    Is my understanding correct? Many thanks in advance.

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,876
    #2

    Re: "how is it like..." vs "how does it feel...." what's the difference?

    The simple answer is this: "How is it like ...?" is incorrect English.

    What is it like working for Apple?
    How does it feel working for Apple?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 75
    #3

    Re: "how is it like..." vs "how does it feel...." what's the difference?

    Thanks, emsr2d2.

    But a lot native speakers, including some high officials, are saying "how is it like..."

    For example, in a very popular British sitcom Yes, minister, the minister says to his ex secretary, now promoted to a position in Number 10, "How is it like sitting next to PM? "

    I understand not-so-well-educated people might speak incorrect English. But ministers???

  2. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,914
    #4

    Re: "how is it like..." vs "how does it feel...." what's the difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo_Lin View Post
    Thanks, emsr2d2.

    But a lot native speakers, including some high officials, are saying "how is it like..."

    For example, in a very popular British sitcom Yes, minister, the minister says to his ex secretary, now promoted to a position in Number 10, "How is it like sitting next to PM? "

    I understand not-so-well-educated people might speak incorrect English. But ministers???
    It is possible for even the most prominent members of The Native Speakers Club to make a mistake! You just need to know that "How is it like sitting next to PM?" is incorrect English! Period!

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,876
    #5

    Re: "how is it like..." vs "how does it feel...." what's the difference?

    I find it very unlikely that the line "How is it like sitting next to PM?" was actually uttered. Can you tell us which season and which episode this was in? Not only is "How is it like ...?" wrong, but the article is missing before "PM".

    In real life, I can assure you that politicians, ministers, royalty etc are just as likely to make grammatical slips when speaking as the rest of us!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,501
    #6

    Re: "how is it like..." vs "how does it feel...." what's the difference?

    ...and in the case of a TV sitcom, the scriptwriter is the one to blame.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 75
    #7

    Re: "how is it like..." vs "how does it feel...." what's the difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I find it very unlikely that the line "How is it like sitting next to PM?" was actually uttered. Can you tell us which season and which episode this was in? Not only is "How is it like ...?" wrong, but the article is missing before "PM".

    In real life, I can assure you that politicians, ministers, royalty etc are just as likely to make grammatical slips when speaking as the rest of us!
    Sorry. I recalled it wrong. I just checked the episode. (YM s03e08: Party Games), the minister said "What was it like sitting next to the PM?"

    I've regained my trust in ministers. *grins* (just joking. I know everybody makes mistakes)

    Thanks to all for answering me. :)

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,876
    #8

    Re: "how is it like..." vs "how does it feel...." what's the difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo_Lin View Post
    Sorry. I recalled it wrong. I just checked the episode. (YM s03e08: Party Games), the minister said "What was it like sitting next to the PM?"

    I've regained my trust in ministers. *grins* (just joking. I know everybody makes mistakes)

    Thanks to all for answering me. :)
    I hate to say "I told you so" but ...
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  5. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #9

    Re: "how is it like..." vs "how does it feel...." what's the difference?

    To be fair, this is possible:
    Albert: Sitting next to you at dinner is like sitting next to the PM!
    Gus: It's like what?
    Albert: Like sitting next to the PM!
    Gus: How is it like sitting next to the PM?
    Albert: You order me to pass you things as if I were a servant, you lecture me on your day, and never ask how I'm enjoying my meal.

    (I"m sure the PM is a better dinner partner than that.)

    You can see, it has a different meaning. "In what way...?"
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-May-2013, 07:57
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-May-2013, 07:57
  3. [Vocabulary] Difference between "health" and "wellness", "Diagnosis" and "Analysis"
    By tobysky in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Dec-2010, 23:43
  4. [Grammar] Difference between "ing"&"simple present" after "to"
    By Gavin1705 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 21-Jul-2010, 23:51
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19-Jun-2008, 01:46

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •