Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Tunisia
Current Location
Tunisia
Dear teachers,

What's the pattern of the following sentence, please? SVCA... or SVC ?

Yesterday was the happiest day of the year for me.

yesterday = subject
was = intensive verb

a) the happiest day = subject-related complement // of the year = adverbial of time (optional or obligatory ?) // for me = ?
OR
b) the happiest day of the year for me = subject-related complement

Can a subject-related complement be followed by an adverbial (obligatory or optional)?

Many thanks,
Hela

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
the happiest day of the year is a complemental NP, whose head, the happiest day, is internally complemented by the adnominal prepositional phrase of the year.

The final prepositional phrase, for me, is essentially an adverbial postmodifier to the copula (which, i
n Quirkian grammar, would probably be classified as a viewpoint subjunct).

hela

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Tunisia
Current Location
Tunisia
Hello, Philo2009

So the pattern of My days in England were the happiest days of my life is:

My days in England = subject
were = copular verb
the happiest days of my life = subject complement

Could you please tell me how I can justify that "in England" and "of the year" are part of the subject or complement and not adverbials?
Would you have examples where the subject complement is followed by an adverbial whether obligatory or optional?

Many thanks,
Hela

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
the happiest day of the year is a complemental NP, whose head, the happiest day, is internally complemented by the adnominal prepositional phrase of the year.

The final prepositional phrase, for me, is essentially an adverbial postmodifier to the copula (which, i
n Quirkian grammar, would probably be classified as a viewpoint subjunct).

Pardon me but ... WHAT?! I'm fairly certain that even (some of) the native speakers here find that response absolutely impenetrable and, as such, unhelpful. This is not an episode of Mastermind where you score extra marks for long words or showing off your in-depth knowledge of a subject. Whilst I admit that the OP's question (and follow-up) was pretty advanced for this forum, there is a chance that other learners will be able to decipher it. I can't say the same for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.