Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
TED Talks attempt to share what happens at TED with the world. The talks are posted online and can be shared and reposted for free. The TED Prize is awarded annually to an excellent individual, and is designed to inspire the TED Community’s wide range of talents and resources. The TED Fellows program helps world-changing innovators from around the globe become part of the TED community. TED Fellows, TED Global Fellows and TED Senior Fellows are drawn from many fields that reflect the diversity of TED’s members: technology, entertainment, design, the sciences, the humanities, the arts, NGOs, business and more.

Can I infer from the passage "The TED Fellows attract people from some particular fields" ?

My supporting detail is based on the underlined sentence.

If not, can any native teacher help me paraphrase the underlined sentence?

Thanks!

Jason

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
TED Talks attempt to share what happens at TED with the world. The talks are posted online and can be shared and reposted for free. The TED Prize is awarded annually to an excellent individual, and is designed to inspire the TED Community’s wide range of talents and resources. The TED Fellows program helps world-changing innovators from around the globe become part of the TED community. TED Fellows, TED Global Fellows and TED Senior Fellows are drawn from many fields that reflect the diversity of TED’s members: technology, entertainment, design, the sciences, the humanities, the arts, NGOs, business and more.

Can I infer from the passage "The TED Fellows attract people from some particular fields" ?
The text is quite clear in stating that the Fellows are from various and sundry fields ("...are drawn from many fields that reflect the diversity..."). Do you understand the meaning of "Fellows" here?

My supporting detail is based on the underlined sentence.

If not, can any native teacher help me paraphrase the underlined sentence?

Thanks!

Jason
Gil

jasonlulu_2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
So you think the statement that "The TED Fellows attract people from some particular fields" is correct, don't you?

I don't know the meaning of "Fellows" when it is capitalized. I thought TED Fellows was a proper noun.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So you think the statement that "The TED Fellows attract people from some particular fields" is correct, don't you?

I don't know the meaning of "Fellows" when it is capitalized. I thought TED Fellows was a proper noun.
No, members of TED come from many different fields of study. If you say, "particular", you are saying that the members only come from certain limited fields. "Fellows", is this context, is referring to members of a learned group, TED. TED (Started in the 1980s - Technology, Entertainment, Design, TED) is a group of people from around the world whose purpose is to spread ideas of merit.

Status
Not open for further replies.