• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Mental Collapse?

Koreans nowadays created and use a very weird mixture word of English and Korean, which is "Mental 붕괴(Collapse)"
    It's indicating your mental state when you experience an extremely shocking or confusing scene. I saw a TV show recently, where entertainers came out with their children and the children had to choose "whether they would live again with their father or mother even if they were born again". And a child chose "I would not", which caused his father to have this kind of "mental collapse"- as they describe in the show.
    This also applies to many situations like when you are too confused to say something, like when you get speechless to see a shocking scene or have too much information to make a decision.
    I'd like to correct this broken English, and my idea to replace such expression is "freak out" or "speechless", but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by keannu; 06-Jun-2013 at 12:44.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Mental Collapse?

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Koreans nowadays created and use a very weird mixture word of English and Korean, which is "Mental 붕괴(Collapse)"
    It's indicating your mental state when you experience an extremely shocking or confusing scene. I saw a TV show recently, where entertainers came out with their children and the children had to choose either "Whether they would live again with their father or mother even if they were born again". And a child chose "I would not", which caused his father to have this kind of "mental collapse"- as they describe in the show.
    This also applies to many situations like when you are too confused to say something, like when you get speechless to see a shocking scene or to have too much information to make a decision.
    I'd like to correct this broken English, and my idea to replace such expression is "freak out" or "speechless", but I'm not sure.
    I would not describe that as a mental collapse or breakdown. Your suggestion of "speechless" sounds right to me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Mental Collapse?

You could say that someone is "in shock" if the effect is a bit more than "speechless", for example "when you experience an extremely shocking or confusing scene" as you say. People are often taken to hospital "in shock" after an accident, or some emotionally traumatic event. In lay language it means what you seem to mean with "mentally collapsed". Note, however, that doctors usually mean a totally different thing when they talk about someone being "in shock" after an accident.