Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The advantages of scale are already evident in the growing dominance of the biggest banks. Concentration on the debt side of the business is increasing even more rapidly than in equities. Mr Spick reckons that within three years the five biggest banks will control more than 55% of total revenue, up from less than a third in 2008. “Trading is becoming a game of attrition as weaker players shrink capacity,” says Mr Hintz. “Decisions to call it quits appear to be accelerating.” Most banks are being forced to cut back and shut businesses in those areas where they do not have scale. That is offering ample opportunity for the biggest banks to grow bigger still.

Should it be "the scale of advantages"? Thank you for your help.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The first phrase in the first sentence makes it clear. 'The scale of advantages' doesn't mean anything, except in the an unlikely context where you're talking about the relative size of various advantages - whatever that might mean.

The use of 'scale' in the last line but one is a lazy usage encouraged by MBA courses. When I was a lad, scale didn't mean bigness:) I'm afraid a lot of people use it now as if it did.

b

michael147

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The first phrase in the first sentence makes it clear. 'The scale of advantages' doesn't mean anything, except in the an unlikely context where you're talking about the relative size of various advantages - whatever that might mean.

The use of 'scale' in the last line but one is a lazy usage encouraged by MBA courses. When I was a lad, scale didn't mean bigness:) I'm afraid a lot of people use it now as if it did.

b

I don't get your point. Can you rephrase it?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Big banks can dominate small banks.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't get your point. Can you rephrase it?

Simply put, 'Economies/advantages... of scale' or 'differences in scale' make sense. 'Scale' is a relative, not an absolute concept. A lot of financial commentators - including your quote when it talks about having 'scale' - use it in the absolute sense.

b

michael147

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Simply put, 'Economies/advantages... of scale' or 'differences in scale' make sense. 'Scale' is a relative, not an absolute concept. A lot of financial commentators - including your quote when it talks about having 'scale' - use it in the absolute sense.

b

Thank you. I get it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.