Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
NOW
6. : at the time under consideration : at the time referred to
the people now proceeded to give him almost every important honor within their gift — E.M.Coulter
MW

1)Does every refer to people, or to honor ?
2)Does to give important honor within their gift mean "to give honor in such measure as the gift being given allows"?

Thanks.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
1. Every refers to honor.

2. "Within their gift" means "within their power to bestow." So in the UK for example, the elevation of persons to knighthood or to the peerage is within the gift of the sovereign only; in other words only the queen can currently bestow such honours.

Last edited:

Osya Bender

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
1. Every refers to honor.
In this case the sentence seems a bit strange to me.
Should I read it as: "the people proceeded to give him important honor, but there also were people who gave him not such important honor as most people did"? (or "there also was some honor, given by some people, that was not such important as the rest of the honor").

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Perhaps you are having trouble with the meaning of every.

"Every important honour" means the same as "all the important honours".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Another possible problem word is 'honour' - which doesn't refer here to 'being recognized as virtuous/honourable' in the sense that one can speak of 'a family's honour' (meaning its good reputation. 'The honours mentioned are positions or reasons for wielding influence.

b

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This use of "gift" must be BrE only. I've never heard this.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This use of "gift" must be BrE only. I've never heard this.
It seems so. There are only four relevant citations in COCA, and 22 in the (much smaller) BNC.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'In my gift' is an easy one! You ain't heard nothin' yet. ;-) What about 'in my bailiwick'?

b

Now, that one I have heard. And used.

Osya Bender

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Thanks all.
No, I'm afraid the problem is neither "every" nor "honour", but "almost". That's what I meant when posted #3:roll:. I still don't understand what the author meant by this word.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'Almost' means what it normally does.

They gave him almost every honour, but not actually every honour. Perhaps they gave him 95% of the honours that were in their gift.

Osya Bender

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
But what could be the reason for not giving every honour?
Each person gives one honour, right? So, 5% of the people didn't give the honour. Or I've misunderstood?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But what could be the reason for not giving every honour?
Perhaps one of the honours in their gift was reserved for women, or one-legged people, or for specific deeds of valour. Perhaps they didn't want to overdo things. You'd have to ask the people.
Each person gives one honour, right?
Wrong. The people as a whole awarded 95% of the honours available.

Osya Bender

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Perhaps one of the honours in their gift was reserved for women, or one-legged people, or for specific deeds of valour. Perhaps they didn't want to overdo things. You'd have to ask the people.Wrong. The people as a whole awarded 95% of the honours available.
Maybe I really don't understand the meaning of the "honor"
So, I've seen in dictionaries this:
honour
RESPECT
1. uncountable
great respect and admiration for sb

Is that the same meaning as in the sentence?
But the honor in your explanation and in the original sentence looks like a countable noun. So I'm not sure I see correctly the meaning of it.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In this case "honor" is not about the individual feelings of each person, but rather more tangible "honors" bestowed upon people.

They might throw him a parade, or a special banquet. Maybe the Queen knights him or the President gives him a medal. Maybe everyone in town lets him take 15 items through the "10 items or less" checkout at the supermarket.

When someone is "honored" like this it is not about how individual people feel. It is that the general appreciation society has is shown through things like I have mentioned.

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Maybe I really don't understand the meaning of the "honor"

Is that the same meaning as in the sentence?
But the honor in your explanation and in the original sentence looks like a countable noun. So I'm not sure I see correctly the meaning of it.
Would it help to say in your initial sentence the word 'honour' is more likely to be rendered into Russian as a plural noun?

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
hi,
Please note I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker;

I manage to dig out the wider context of that sentence. I hope it might help. link

Regards

Osya Bender

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
I hope I've understood it. But I'm not sure in the "dictionary meaning" of this word.
Am I right that the meaning of it is
RESPECT [uncountable] the respect that you, your family, your country etc receive from other people, which makes you feel proud
but this respect was expressed in "pleasant" things. E.g: people elected him governor (they gave what they could "within their gift") ?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I hope I've understood it. But I'm not sure in the "dictionary meaning" of this word.
Am I right that the meaning of it is
RESPECT [uncountable] the respect that you, your family, your country etc receive from other people, which makes you feel proud

but this respect was expressed in "pleasant" things. E.g: people elected him governor (they gave what they could "within their gift") ?
No

If you do not read and think about some of the responses you have received in this thread before you post your next question, I shall simply close the thread.

Osya Bender

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
No

If you do not read and think about some of the responses you have received in this thread before you post your next question, I shall simply close the thread.

Are you a teacher? So, I think, you should be patient with learners who proved not to be such "clever" ones as you expected. It's wrong to accuse me of not reading previous posts when I just have not understood something. Instead of accusing me you could just answer my question #18 (e.g. to show the relevant dictionary definition).

Status
Not open for further replies.