Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please view the following sentences. "It would be very convenient". "It would be very convenience". and "I happen to believe its possible" "I happen to believe its possibly". In each case both the first sentences are correct but can you explain why? I am sometimes confused when writing sentences which one to use not only these 2 sentences but in general. What part of grammar does this come under so that I can read up on this problem of mine. thanks

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're an English teacher whose native language is English and you don't know why "I believe it's possibly" is wrong?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You're an English teacher whose native language is English and you don't know why "I believe it's possibly" is wrong?
Perhaps they didn't cover that one in the course. ;-)

notmyhandfeet

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you can point me in the right direction,it would help me a great deal. thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you are a native-speaking n English teacher, you should know the answer to these very basic questions. If you are not, then your profile is incorrect

notmyhandfeet

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry I have changed my profile - my mistake. Moderator can you give me some tips. I learnt english a long time ago and have not used it very much this 10 years. I want to improve.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your sentences boil down to "something is x." In this type of sentence "x" is describing the "something."

Words that describe things are called "adjectives." Words that describe actions are "adverbs."

You need an adjective in your examples. "Convenient" and "possible" are adjectives. "Convenience" is a noun. "Possibly" is an adverb.

Also note, that you used "its" in your second sentences. You mean "it's" which is a contraction of "it is."

Status
Not open for further replies.