English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
One of my students wrote:
In my city I most frequently use such means of transport as bus, trolley-bus and tram.

A grammar rule says that when we are talking about something in general we use no article before a noun. So, is the students' sentence correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In my city I most frequently use such means of transport as bus, trolley-bus and tram.

A grammar rule says that when we are talking about something in general we use no article before a noun. So, is the students' sentence correct?

Without an article, I would be more likely to use the plural. Note that "such means of transport as" is rather wordy and a little unnatural.

In my city, I most frequently use buses, trolley-buses and trams.
In my city, I most frequently use the bus, trolley-bus and tram. (Here, only one "the" is necessary. It is assumed to refer to the following three nouns".)

If the student really wants to use a phrase including "transport", then perhaps:

In my city, my preferred forms of transport are the bus, trolley-bus and tram.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
hi,
Please note I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker;

I have a lots of problem with using articles myself as they are non-existent in Polish.
I do recall a rule I've learned about using the zero article with means of transport as a general concept; but as far as I remember it was in construction with the preposition -by like in :
I generally travel/go to work by bus/tram/....
I go there by air
So if I might .... if the sentence would read:

In my city, I most frequently go/travel by [?] bus, trolley-bus and tram.
do we need an article there ?

Regards

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
hi,
Please note I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker;

I have a lots of problem with using articles myself as they are non-existent in Polish.
I do recall a rule I've learned about using the zero article with means of transport as a general concept; but as far as I remember it was in construction with the preposition -by like in :
I generally travel/go to work by bus/tram/....
I go there by air
So if I might .... if the sentence would read:

In my city, I most frequently go/travel by [?] bus, trolley-bus and tram.
do we need an article there ?

Regards

It depends on the preposition.

I frequently go by bus.
I frequently go on the bus.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

I frequently go by bus.

@emsr2d2, thank you.

I am ashamed to admit that after all these years, I still have this problem (of not being sure when to use 'the' and when not to). I would not have said 'I frequently go on bus', that is, I would correctly say 'go on the bus', but I might have made the mistake of saying 'go by the bus'. :-( :oops:

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Although a little literary, it is possible to omit the articles here, although in more prosaic, daily usage we would generally insert the definite article.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
This seems to be similar to the recent example we had of "Michael is 26 and, when not singing, works as plumber and barman" to which no one (except me) would give their approval, I think.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
This seems to be similar to the recent example we had of "Michael is 26 and, when not singing, works as plumber and barman" to which no one (except me) would give their approval, I think.

Is it because your English is Australian?)

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Where did you find that rule?

Sorry, the rule reads "before plural nouns when we're talking about something in general". :oops:

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Is it because your English is Australian?)
I don't think so. It's probably because I read a lot, and have seen this construction used occasionally by good authors. Of course, I'm not suggesting that others don't read, or don't read good authors. It might just be that the construction is a little strange, so I have remembered it.

JoeC

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

I frequently go by bus .

Am I correct in saying that when we refer to a definite instance of taking a bus/train etc we can use the? -Who more suitable than he to be leaving for Liverpool by the train that evening?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Am I correct in saying that when we refer to a definite instance of taking a bus/train etc we can use the? -Who more suitable than he to be leaving for Liverpool by the train that evening?

No. In that somewhat old-fashioned sentence, we would not use an article at all.

We say "travel by train", "leave by train" but "take the train". I won't pretend that I can come up with a "rule" or a reason. Sometimes you just have to learn what native speakers say and remember it!

Status
Not open for further replies.