• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

ever present

1. Doesn't "ever present" have to be correct to "there is a strong ever-present temptation"? I think its position is awkward and there should be a dash in between.
    2. Why would "the client gain strength"? The other day, I had to buy pear juice on an online company, and if they had suggested a few items among their list of 10 or 20 items, I would have chosen one from a limited numbers, but such thing didn't happen. Does "gain strenth" mean "a client would get some confidence in choosing an item"?

13)When a client seeks information regarding the direction he or she should take (what choice to make, what approach to use, etc.), there is ever present a strong temptation on the counselorís part to tell him or her what to do, particularly if the counselor feels that she or he knows the best answer to the clientís problems. This should generally be avoided, however, as the client will gain strength if allowed to make his or her own judgments. Certainly, one of the most important goals of counseling is to enable clients to make better decisions, and part of this process may require that the counselor become an active agent in the decision-making process. But to answer a clientís decision-oriented question with a specific, closed-ended answer diminishes significantly the possibility that the client will grow enough to make decisions.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: ever present

not a teacher

1) I too would be inclined to include the hyphen. The original position is fine, read the meaning as "there is always present a strong temptation".
    2) Here, "will gain strength" does seem to mean something close to "will gain confidence". Bear in mind that this appears to be about counseling people on how to make judgments affecting their personal lives, so it's not quite analogous to choosing fruit juice.