Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Australia
I lost my pen, I think someone took it with himself/herself accidentally.
Is this sentence correct? is it necessary to use himself/herself. IF I don't know the gender of person whom took my pen what should i use instead of himself/herself.
Thanks.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I lost my pen, I think someone took it with himself/herself accidentally.
Is this sentence correct? is it necessary to use himself/herself. IF I don't know the gender of person whom took my pen what should i use instead of himself/herself.
Thanks.

No, it is not correct. In general, one can only use a reflexive pronoun (himself, herself) if the person had been mentioned earlier.

She did it herself. OK
He took it himself. OK
Otherwise use the normal objective pronoun: I lost my pen, I think someone took it with him/her accidentally.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Is this sentence correct? is it necessary to use himself/herself. No. IF I don't know the gender of person whom took my pen what should i use instead of himself/herself.

You could also write, 'I think someone took it accidentally'.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I lost my pen. I think someone took it with himself/herself accidentally.
Thanks.
Note that no one would ever say "with him/her". I'm assuming you're talking about speech.
If "I think someone took it accidentally" is not enough, you can say, "I think someone accidentally took it with them".
If you are writing this for some reason, you might write, "I think someone must have accidentally taken it [with them]."

Also, note that you have a comma splice. You can't join two sentences with a comma in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.