• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Why wouldn't you want to fly?"

1. The writer is a disabled woman, and I wonder what was meant by "Why wouldn't you want to fly?" ". Did it give her to the feeling that she is as capable as a normal man?
    2. Isn't "to" of "make it to look like" a typo or a correct usage?

2)And I said, "Kids, if I want a pair of legs that I could use to jump over a house, and if you can make it
    to look like that of any animal, any superhero, or any cartoon character, what kind of legs would you build me?"
    And immediately a voice responded, "Kangaroo!" "No, no! It should be The Incredibles," shouted another kid. And then, one 8-year-old asked in all seriousness, "Why wouldn't you want to fly?" Everyone in the room, including me, broke into loud cheers and gave a big hand. At that moment, I realized that these kids saw me no longer as a "disabled" woman, but as someone whose body could do extraordinary things.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Why wouldn't you want to fly?"

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    1. The writer is a disabled woman, and I wonder what was meant by "Why wouldn't you want to fly?" ". Did it give her to the feeling that she is as capable as a normal man? (She is not a man, she is a woman)
    2. Isn't "to" of "make it to look like" a typo or a correct usage? (It's fine)

2)And I said, "Kids, if I want a pair of legs that I could use to jump over a house, and if you can make it to look like that of any animal, any superhero, or any cartoon character, what kind of legs would you build me?" And immediately a voice responded, "Kangaroo!" "No, no! It should be The Incredibles," shouted another kid. And then, one 8-year-old asked in all seriousness, "Why wouldn't you want to fly?" Everyone in the room, including me, broke into loud cheers and gave a big hand. At that moment, I realized that these kids saw me no longer as a "disabled" woman, but as someone whose body could do extraordinary things.
    To make sense of this you would have to know who The Incredibles are. Find that out first and then see if it is a reasonable thing to say.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

1. As for "Why wouldn't you want to fly?" ". I made a simple research for "The Incredibles", and it seems to mean "you can fly like the main character in the film".

I thought this is the same usage as "I made her go", an object complement, but here "make" seems like "produce or manafacture", right?
    if you can make it to look like that of any animal, any

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    1. As for "Why wouldn't you want to fly?" ". I made a simple research for "The Incredibles", and it seems to mean "you can fly like the main character in the film".

I thought this is the same usage as "I made her go", an object complement, but here "make" seems like "produce or manafacture", right?
    if you can make it to look like that of any animal, any
    The 'to' is there for a reason. The sentence means "Make it such that it looks like ..."; "Make it in such a way that it looks like ..."
    'Make' here means 'produce, fabricate, form'. "Produce it look like that of an animal" doesn't make sense, but "Produce it to look like that of an animal" does.