• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

see without sharing in it

I don't understand the following in red clearly? Please paraphrase it more easily.

I've never been to church yet, and probably shall not be soon. I stay away because I am conscious I should not know how to behave myself. I am often thinking of what we said of your coming to live at Springfield. I am afraid you would not be satisfied. There is a great deal of flourishing about in carriages here, which it would be your doom to see without sharing in it. You would have to be poor without the means of hiding your poverty. Do you believe you could bear that patiently?

Is this saying "when you see Springfield in a carriage, it seems a flourishing town. But when you are not rich enough to have a carriage, you have to bear abject poverty"?

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: see without sharing in it

Please state the source and author of this quotation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

<<Lincoln the Unknown>> by Dale cargenie.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post
    I don't understand the following in red clearly? Please paraphrase it more easily.

I've never been to church yet, and probably shall not be soon. I stay away because I am conscious I should not know how to behave myself. I am often thinking of what we said of your coming to live at Springfield. I am afraid you would not be satisfied. There is a great deal of flourishing about in carriages here, which it would be your doom to see without sharing in it. You would have to be poor without the means of hiding your poverty. Do you believe you could bear that patiently?

Is this saying "when you see Springfield in a carriage, it seems a flourishing town. But when you are not rich enough to have a carriage, you have to bear abject poverty"?

Thank you.
    It helps to see this as the two paragraphs it had been written in.
    First, realize that Lincoln was writing 150 years ago.
    The first two sentences means he doesn't know how people behave in church, and he's afraid to go because he doesn't want to do the wrong thing.

Apparently he and Mary had already talked about her coming to live in Springfield, where he is now. He doesn't think she will like it. People are a bit more grand there. They drive in nice carriages and show off. She would be very unhappy because she would see these people looking nice in their carriages, but the Lincollns would not have the money to do it themselves.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.