Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hey. I'm Kamil and I am an English student from Poland. My B.A exam is in one week and I have some problems. Could anyone help me finish this sentence:: Language learning consist in.... I know that it consist in vocabulary learning. Is there anything else that I could add?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Consists of, not in.

What are the skills you need to have to say you are fluent in a language? I'll give you one: You need to be able to read. Can you name three more?

kamilmodry

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Consists of, not in.

What are the skills you need to have to say you are fluent in a language? I'll give you one: You need to be able to read. Can you name three more?

writing, speaking and listening?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. So why don't you revise your sentence to include those four elements, and we'll take a look.

kamilmodry

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Language learning consists of four skills, reading, listening, speaking and writing, that are needed to be learnt to become fluent in English.

Ok. but Why did my teacher write in email "consist in". And when I asked him precisely he told me about VOCABULARY learning. I'm confused.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Language learning consists of four skills, reading, listening, speaking and writing, that are needed to be learnt to become fluent in English.

Ok. but Why did my teacher write in email "consist in". And when I asked him precisely he told me about VOCABULARY learning. I'm confused.

If your teacher told you that "consist in" is correct, then feel free to show him this thread. Simply "consist in" is wrong. It's "something consists of ...". Perhaps your teacher was just trying to give you one example of learning a language - learning the vocabulary.

kamilmodry

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
so how should I finish this sentence?

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Let me try.

How about:
"Language learning consists in acquiring four skills, reading, listening, speaking and writing, where vocabulary learning plays an essential part."

Please don't ask me about punctuation.
(I'm not a native speaker. Please forgive me if I'm wrong.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Let me try.

How about:
"Language learning consists in acquiring four skills, reading, listening, speaking and writing, where vocabulary learning plays an essential part."

Please don't ask me about punctuation.
(I'm not a native speaker. Please forgive me if I'm wrong.)

tzfujimini, if you read the other replies from the native speakers, you will see that we have already pointed out that "consist in" is incorrect. There is little use in your just repeating the OP's errors in your suggested response.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
tzfujimini, if you read the other replies from the native speakers, you will see that we have already pointed out that "consist in" is incorrect. There is little use in your just repeating the OP's errors in your suggested response.

I'm sorry. I just made a poor attempt at it.
Please accept my deepest apology.
(Having said that, I do not understand why "consist in" cannot be used in this case.)
(I think I'll accept it)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
(Having said that, I do not understand why "consist in" cannot be used in this case.)
(I think I'll accept it)

"Consist in" cannot be used in any case. It is incorrect. It's as simple as that.

kamilmodry

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I've just found im my english-polish dictionary that "consist in" means "rely on, depend on". I am confused. How to answer this question? Could anyone help me, please. I will be grateful!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My recommendation would be to throw your dictionary in the bin and get a proper one! Which dictionary are you using?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I've just found im my english-polish dictionary that "consist in" means "rely on, depend on". I am confused. How to answer this question? Could anyone help me, please. I will be grateful!
You have: "Language learning consists in ..."
I'd suggest you use that stem and add whatever you think is appropriate. You've been given five things that language learning consists of. I don't think there is a certain specific number of constituents of language learning. Do you add studying, thinking, memorising, remembering...? That's up to you.
Given that "consist in" occurs in all of the dictionaries that I've just consulted, I can't agree that it's simply wrong. I personally say "consist of".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Given that "consist in" occurs in all of the dictionaries that I've just consulted, I can't agree that it's simply wrong.
I agree. There are 484 citations for consist/s/ing/ed in in COCA.
I personally say "consist of".
Me too.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree. There are 484 citations for consist/s/ing/ed in in COCA.Me too.

There are 246 in the BNC too. I would also use consist of.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I tend to use "consist in" slightly more often, mainly because the preposition used in Spanish is the same, but I'm not very consistent at its usage.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(I think I'll accept it)

As has already been pointed out, "consist in" can be correct and is sometimes used. Its correct use is restricted to one essential element or one most important element. "Consist of" is used when there are more elements.

See here: consist in - Wiktionary

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
As has already been pointed out, "consist in" can be correct and is sometimes used. Its correct use is restricted to one essential element or one most important element. "Consist of" is used when there are more elements.

See here: consist in - Wiktionary
That makes sense. It's explained here too (though I believe neither of the examples was originally written in English!):
‘Consists in,’ on the other hand, refers to non-material things or qualities. I looked at lots of definitions but found none that was truly satisfactory to me until I found this one: has as its essential character.
A happy life consists in tranquility of mind.
Cicero, Roman author, orator, & politician (106 BC – 43 BC)
The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.
Voltaire, French writer, essayist, and philosopher (1694 – 1778)

Language Tips: Consists of or consists in & proved/proven again | Language Usage Weblog

Status
Not open for further replies.