Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Apr 2013
    • Posts: 27
    #1

    the football team that runs five plays so well that....

    "The law of the vital few relates to practice as well. It suggests that to become great, you should focus more on practicing the 20 percent of things that most create value than the other 80 percent of things you could plausibly spend time on. You’d practice that 20 percent of things obsessively—80 percent of the time, some would argue—eschewing things of lesser value and becoming, metaphorically (or literally), the football team that runs five plays so well that even when everyone in the stadium knows they’re coming, they’re still unstoppable. With practice you’ll get stronger results if you spend your time practicing the most important things."

    "Practice Perfect", Doug Lemov, p. 29.

    Would you please help me understand the sentence in bold? I don't quite get it... Why knowing they're coming to the stadium change anything?

    Thanks!

  1. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,215
    #2

    Re: the football team that runs five plays so well that....

    Everyone knows to expect those plays, even the opposing team.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Apr 2013
    • Posts: 27
    #3

    Re: the football team that runs five plays so well that....

    I think I get it... the plays are so good that not even the opposing team, which is fully aware of them, can't prevent them from happening - right?

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,822
    #4

    Re: the football team that runs five plays so well that....

    Quote Originally Posted by Maria Carolina Morais View Post
    I think I get it... the plays are so good that not even the opposing team, which is fully aware of them, can't prevent them from happening - right?
    Yes, but it's "not even the opposing team can prevent them from happening". If you want to use "can't", you need to say "... that even the opposing team can't prevent them ...".
    However, it's more the point that not only are those plays very good, they are also predictable. Even though the opposing team know that they will facing plays like that, they still can't stop them.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #5

    Re: the football team that runs five plays so well that....

    Incidentally, Maria, this is American football. An Association Football ('soccer') team wouldn't 'run five plays'. It might use 'five set pieces' or 'five training ground moves'.

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,307
    #6

    Re: the football team that runs five plays so well that....

    The point is really not that the plays are so good, it is that the execution of them is superb. It helps, of course, if the players themselves are superior as well. But training and teamwork can make the difference in the execution.

Similar Threads

  1. A football team ________(play/plays) very well ...
    By SHerman7 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 13-Apr-2012, 15:05
  2. has been playing football vs has played football
    By Verona_82 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-Mar-2012, 20:07
  3. A Player In The School Football Team
    By SongYuxiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-Aug-2010, 22:24
  4. The Baltimore Ravens Football Team
    By Right or wrong in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-May-2007, 05:33
  5. soccer, football, American football, rugby
    By Fernanda in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Apr-2006, 19:12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •