Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Kuwait
Hello Everyone,

I have been learning English as a second language for a long time, but being taught in Arabic school was an obstacle to improve my English speaking and writing. I will make it short and get to the point, I think the most annoying problem I find in my English is that, however I am exposed to wide range of vocabulary and also, and that when I read passages and articles I can get almost 90% of the full article meaning and understand complex sentences and expression, yet the thing I hate the most is my writing, though I can read and understand spoken English well,but unintentionally, I keep on using the same style that I have always used in writing, and keep on being dependent on the basic vocabulary, I want to be a better writer and form sentences that are well structured, has a logical links together, and supported by coherence and cohesion.

NOTE: I have sat for the IELTS ACADEMIC test and score 6.0

Please advice me what to do to solve this issue, Thanks

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How do you try to break out of this style straitjacket? Instead of looking at the structure, it might be useful to try writing things that are different from what you normally do. Write something to make us laugh, for example- then you have to focus on the humour, and the language should flow from that.

e.elshami

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Kuwait
How do you try to break out of this style straitjacket? Instead of looking at the structure, it might be useful to try writing things that are different from what you normally do. Write something to make us laugh, for example- then you have to focus on the humour, and the language should flow from that.

Thanks for your answer. I think you are absolutely right, maybe I should write essays with different topics.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And not only essays- try different genres.

e.elshami

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Kuwait
And not only essays- try different genres.

Hello, can I post some of the essays that I write here, so I can get your feedback?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, can I post some of the essays that I write here, so I can get your feedback?

Of course. Please don't make them too long - we are volunteers and most of us don't have time to give the appropriate length of time to a long piece. A five to six line paragraph at a time would be good. Post them in the "Editing and Writing Topics" section.

e.elshami

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Kuwait
Of course. Please don't make them too long - we are volunteers and most of us don't have time to give the appropriate length of time to a long piece. A five to six line paragraph at a time would be good. Post them in the "Editing and Writing Topics" section.

Oh, I am afraid that it might not be possible, because almost all of my essays consist of 250 words.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Oh, I am afraid that it might not be possible, because almost all of my essays consist of 250 words.

That doesn't matter (although 250 isn't too bad). Break your essay down into separate paragraphs. Post the first paragraph with the title of the essay followed by "Part One" as your thread title. Wait until you've had some responses before doing Part Two etc because some of the corrections you are given in Part One might lead you to change parts of the rest of the essay. How does that sound?

e.elshami

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Kuwait
That doesn't matter (although 250 isn't too bad). Break your essay down into separate paragraphs. Post the first paragraph with the title of the essay followed by "Part One" as your thread title. Wait until you've had some responses before doing Part Two etc because some of the corrections you are given in Part One might lead you to change parts of the rest of the essay. How does that sound?

Well, I think it will take too much time but it is okay.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, I think it will take too much time but it is okay.

Well, it's entirely up to you. If you would prefer to pay for help in order to get it done to your timescale, then that is your choice. Everyone here is a volunteer so we do what we can, when we can. We always warn anyone who is posting in the Editing And Writing Topics section that the longer their piece, the less chance there is of anyone doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.