English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

Sometimes, in some of my classes, I come across a problem. I'm not sure who must be blamed for this problem, me or my students?!
Sometimes my students, even in higher levels, don't speak as much as they are supposed to. They don't participate in discussions, no ideas even about simple questions, so unfortunately TTT goes up. I'm not sure if you can help, but I really welcome all your comments and suggestions.
Many thanks.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Are they Persian speakers? Multilingual classes find it easy to speak in English because they have to, but if they all speak the same language, then it's not uncommon for there to be some embarrassment and unwillingness to speak English together. It doesn't come easily for me to speak to another English speaker in a foreign language. It may take some work to get over this barrier.

Love Teaching

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Yes, they're are Persian. Unfortunately, it's not that common in my country to have / experience multilingual classes. On the other hand, according to some silly rules, coed schools are not found easily!
I think I agree with the fact that students from the same country usually find it difficult to challenge and speak with each other.
I really appreciate your answer(s) and further help.
Thanks.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do you use role play? This might be a way to overcome the embarrassment- as they're pretending to be someone else, it may make it easier to speak English to a fellow Persian speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.