Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Australia
Is this sentence OK?
Firstly, we should use the first aid kit to cure/heal the superficial wounds.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We don't "cure" wounds. As Rover said, we "dress" them and then they "heal" over time.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It was me that said that — not Raymott.:-(

(Note to students: That's a colloquial way of saying 'It was I who said that'.)

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As a former first-aider I'd like to point out that dressing wounds isn't the only thing they do. There are other things that bandages do, such as support a damaged limb. And, as I imagine Ray may point out, it's not a first-aider's job to dress the wounds so that they will cure themselves. First-aiders don't set bones - for example - they just immobilize the wound. A first-aider's job is to stop any further deterioration in the casualty's condition, before a doctor can attend. (In some cases, a first-aider may - justifiably - do harm: for example, one of my trainers once used a blanket pin to secure an unconscious casualty's tongue - when they were trapped in a face-up position. The doctor would have to treat the damage to the tongue, but at least the casualty wouldn't choke before the doctor arrived.

So my proposed new text would be something like 'Firstly, we should use the first aid kit to deal with the superficial wounds'. [Incidentally, this is wrong - though not on grounds of grammar. 'Firstly we should clear the airway and ensure there is no possibility of renewed blockage.' ('Superficial wounds' don't concern a first-aider much.)]

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My first aid test involved me dressing a wound. It was rather unfortunate that while I was cleaning and dressing the gash in the lady's leg, she slipped into a diabetic coma and died because I hadn't been listening to her saying things like "I missed breakfast this morning" and "I felt a bit hungry and dizzy and then I just fell over". I was so intent on getting her leg patched up, I failed to notice all her hints or that there was a Mars Bar on a nearby table which I was meant to give her.

I passed the test!

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
My first aid test involved me dressing a wound. It was rather unfortunate that while I was cleaning and dressing the gash in the lady's leg, she slipped into a diabetic coma and died because I hadn't been listening to her saying things like "I missed breakfast this morning" and "I felt a bit hungry and dizzy and then I just fell over". I was so intent on getting her leg patched up, I failed to notice all her hints or that there was a Mars Bar on a nearby table which I was meant to give her.

I passed the test!

So, it was a test, and she didn't actually die?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, as I said in the first few words, it was a test and no, I can assure you that she didn't die!

First aid tests are never carried out on real patients. On my course, the people we had to "treat" were volunteers from the local WI (Women's Institute) who came in and were given various (very convincing) wounds, broken bones etc for us to practice on.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Yes, as I said in the first few words, it was a test and no, I can assure you that she didn't die!

First aid tests are never carried out on real patients. On my course, the people we had to "treat" were volunteers from the local WI (Women's Institute) who came in and were given various (very convincing) wounds, broken bones etc for us to practice on.

That's good. I'm relieved now.:-D

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
She didn't, but who knows what happened to the real cases. :-D

Well, I was surprised to have passed but they pointed out that I properly passed every other section of the test and also, quite rightly, that I would NEVER make that mistake again. They weren't wrong. On the few occasions that I had to use my qualification, I asked every single casualty if they were diabetic before I asked them anything else!

Status
Not open for further replies.