• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Do they mean the same?

I can't understand do these two mean the same thing? Do they have the same cause?

1) Being chosen for the party the guests were all old friends. (The guests were old friends because they were chosen for the party.)
    2) Being old friends, the guests were chosen for the party. (The guests were chosen for the party because they were old freinds.)

I think the idea is "These people were chosen for the party because they were old friends.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Do they mean the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Kotfor View Post
    I can't understand do these two mean the same thing? Do they have the same cause?

1) Being chosen for the party the guests were all old friends. (The guests were old friends because they were chosen for the party.)
    2) Being old friends, the guests were chosen for the party. (The guests were chosen for the party because they were old freinds.)

I think the idea is "These people were chosen for the party because they were old friends.
    You're right with your interpretation but the first one doesn't make any sense no matter how you word it. People can't become old friends simply on the basis of being "chosen" for a party.

I'm also not sure why you've used "chosen". People are generally "invited" to a party.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Re: Do they mean the same?

Thank you. I thought anyone should be chosen before invited to a party.