Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does this "have someone back" structure denote a causative verb like "I let her go" or just a state of having or getting something?

8)Cylie’s teammates were happy to have her back on the bench and cheer for them. But what they really wanted was to find a way for her to be on the court playing basketball with them. That’s when someone came up with the idea of having her shoot free throws.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
No one has answered this, so I sometimes wonder why a member gave me "like" like "wotcha".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's just a state of 'having'.

I guess wotcha gave it a Like because he/she thought it was a good question and would also be interested in finding out the answer.

Rover

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks a lot! Incidentally, do you pronounce "Cylie" as "kailie" or "saili"? Is it K or S sound?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks a lot! Incidentally, do you pronounce "Cylie" as "kailie" or "saili"? Is it K or S sound?

I have never come across the name "Cylie". I have no idea how she would pronounce it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would pronounce it "sigh-lee" but these days, people are constantly giving their children perfectly normal names but using alternative (and sometimes ridiculous) spellings. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if "Cylie" is meant to be pronounced the same as "Kylie" but the parents thought they were being clever and original by changing the first letter. If that were the case, I would probably pronounce it "sigh-lee" just to annoy them!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I would pronounce it "sigh-lee" but these days, people are constantly giving their children perfectly normal names but using alternative (and sometimes ridiculous) spellings. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if "Cylie" is meant to be pronounced the same as "Kylie" but the parents thought they were being clever and original by changing the first letter. If that were the case, I would probably pronounce it "sigh-lee" just to annoy them!

This is probably irrelevant but "Ceallaigh" is the Irish Gaelic spelling of the name "Kelly". The "c" is almost always pronounced "k" in the Irish language. Perhaps the parents have some Irish connection. Although, the "y" would be unusual in that case, since it doesn't exist in the Irish alphabet.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does this "have someone back" structure denote a causative verb like "I let her go" or just a state of having or getting something?

8)Cylie’s teammates were happy to have her back on the bench and cheer for them. But what they really wanted was to find a way for her to be on the court playing basketball with them. That’s when someone came up with the idea of having her shoot free throws.

If someone is missing for a while (possibly an injury in sports) and then returns, teammates might say "It's good to have her back". In this case, they wanted her to be able to do more than just sit on the bench and cheer for the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.