• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

The contest saw 724 innovative companies ........ Barcelona Activa across Europe

Hello again!

The contest saw 724 innovative companies from all sectors and 24 countries qualify throughout 2008 through the calendar of 7 qualifying investment contests hosted in its majority by Europe Unlimited but also by Caja Navarra and Barcelona Activa across Europe.

A will again try to tell you what I make of the sentence.

During the contest, 724 innovative companies from all sectors and 24 countries managed to qualify during the whole of the year 2008 in the course of 7 qualifying investment contests, the most of which (that is to say, the contests) were organised by Europe Unlimited but also by Caja Navarra and Barcelona Activa across Europe.

What is the meaning of "qualify" in the sentence?

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: The contest saw 724 innovative companies ........ Barcelona Activa across Europe

Quote Originally Posted by JACEK1 View Post
    Hello again!

The contest saw 724 innovative companies from all sectors and 24 countries qualify throughout 2008 through the calendar of 7 qualifying investment contests hosted in its majority by Europe Unlimited but also by Caja Navarra and Barcelona Activa across Europe.

A will again try to tell you what I make of the sentence.

During the contest, 724 innovative companies from all sectors and 24 countries managed to qualify during the whole of the year 2008 in the course of 7 qualifying investment contests, the most of which (that is to say, the contests) were organised by Europe Unlimited but also by Caja Navarra and Barcelona Activa across Europe.

What is the meaning of "qualify" in the sentence?

Thank you.
    In this case, "to qualify" means to meet the entry requirements.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: The contest saw 724 innovative companies ........ Barcelona Activa across Europe

Hello all users!
    Entry = a person or thing entered in a contest or competition.
    I have come to the conclusion that "to meet the entry requirements" means "to satisfy requirements in order to be able to take part in a competition" or "to be admitted to a competition". Am I right or wrong?

Taking that definition into account, I would like you to help me express "724 innovative companies from all sectors and 24 countries managed to qualify during the whole of the year 2008" part properly. I somehow find it awkward. Maybe it should go like this:
    "724 innovative companies from all sectors and 24 countries succeeded in being admitted to the competition during? the entire the year 2008".
    I am very eager to know the true meaning of this part.

Thank you.