• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

fixing / maintaining] any of these

1. I have never seen "should" used this way, what is the original form of this sentence? "If chaos should rear"? What does "should" mean here?
    2. Why does "fixing any of these" lead to fail? Isn't the writer saying that the current weak leadership should be fixed following the past one? It seems contradictory.

44)As the structures of our world and the conditions of certainty have yielded to an avalanche of change, the extent of our longing for stable, definitive leadership has been exceeded only by the (A)[prospect / impossibility] of finding it. The fault lies not with leadership but rather with ourselves and our expectations. In the old days, leaders were supposed to make sense of chaos, to make certainty out of doubt, and to create positive action plans for the (B)[existence / resolution] of paradoxes. Good leaders straightened things out. Should chaos rear its ugly head, the leader was expected to restore normality immediately. But chaos is now considered normal, paradoxes cannot be resolved, and certainty is possible only to the level of high probability. Leadership that attempts to deliver in terms of (C)[fixing / maintaining] any of these can only fail. And that is exactly what is happening.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: fixing / maintaining] any of these

(Not a Teacher)

1) You could replace 'should' with 'if' here (as long as you made 'rear' past tense). I'm not enough of a grammarian to explain why this 'should' clause works.

2) The author is saying that nowadays, leaders are only setting themselves up to fail by trying to provide absolute certainty in a chaotic world.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Does "fix" here mean "amend, improve, make something better" or "make something go into an unmovable state"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Does "fix" here mean "amend, improve, make something better" or "make something go into an unmovable state"?
    I'm not sure of what you mean by "an unmovable state". To "fix" something is to bring something back to its previous condition. If I, for example, fix the engine, I do some actions which result in the engine being as it was before. The author is saying that things cannot be brought back to their previous conditions and attempts to do so will only result in failure. Status quo refers to a current or standard state. If the status quo is such that women cannot vote and women force the government to allow them to vote, an attempt on the part of leaders to disallow them to vote will probably fail.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

If you fix a picture to the wall, or fix a specimen in formaldehyde, or fix a stake into the ground then you are "making something go into an unmovable state". This is my understanding of keannu's definition.
    No, it doesn't mean this type of 'fix'.