Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
A friend of mine asked me the difference between "verification test" and "demonstration test."
In my understanding, a verification test is an examination conducted to ascertain whether something is true or not because the person conducting the test is not sure about the result while a demonstration test is an examination conducted to show people that something is true.
Please tell me if my understanding is wrong.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A friend of mine asked me the difference between "verification test" and "demonstration test."
In my understanding, a verification test is an examination conducted to ascertain whether something is true or not because the person conducting the test is not sure about the result while a demonstration test is an examination conducted to show people that something is true.
Please tell me if my understanding is wrong.
I don't believe that "true" is the correct word to use here. I can verify that the air pressure in the tires of my car is 40 PSI by using an instrument to check the pressure. If the pressure is 40 PSI or 38 PSI it is not a matter of being true, it is merely a fact. I can demonstrate how to use the instrument by showing someone what I am doing. Again, this is not a matter of truth, it is a matter of showing someone how to do something. In short, to verify is to check, to demonstrate is to show.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I think verification does relate to truth. If you check your tires to verify that they are at 40 psi, you are attempting to confirm the truth of the hypothesis that they are at 40 psi. If they are at 38 psi, your hypothesis has failed, and you have to inflate the tires. If you just check your tires with no preconceived idea of what the pressure is, or should be, that's not verification.

ver·i·fy (v
ebreve.gif
r
prime.gif
schwa.gif
-f
imacr.gif
lprime.gif
)
tr.v. ver·i·fied, ver·i·fy·ing, ver·i·fies1. To prove the truth of by presentation of evidence or testimony; substantiate.
2. To determine or test the truth or accuracy of, as by comparison, investigation, or reference: experiments that verified the hypothesis.verify - definition of verify by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Status
Not open for further replies.