[Grammar] Which Preposition to use for specific places?

• Thread starter enthusiastic learner
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,132
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

enthusiastic learner

From what I've learned so far, 'At' is used for specific places. Is it still applicable if you are in an enclosed place?

For example,

"I'm at the north wing."

Or, since you are in an enclosed place, you use 'In' instead.

"I'm in the north wing."

Also, one more question. "Those people at the booth should take their seats already." is correct, right?

Thank you in advance!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'm in the north wing.

At is used for location, but it is not that specific: I'm at home in the kitchen.

E

enthusiastic learner

So, is it alright to say: I'm at the mall in the shoe store.

Because what my English teacher told me is, if that is the case, it should be: I'm in the mall at the shoe store.

Thank you for your kind help!

D'Arcy UK

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain

Because what my English teacher told me is, if that is the case, it should be: I'm in the mall at the shoe store.

It usually depends on whether you're thinking of the place as a destination or as a more precise location in an enclosed space. Compare:
"I'm at the exhibition." (a destination or event) and "I'm in the exhibition room/hall." (describing your location in an enclosed space).
"I'm at the north wing." (I've just arrived at my destination, or I'm standing at the entrance) v "I'm in the north wing." (actually inside).
"I'm at the police station." (doing some police business, maybe inside or maybe in the car park outside) v "I'm in the police station." (actually inside, not outside).

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

That depends on whether you are actually inside of the shoe store. If you are, use "in".

Status
Not open for further replies.