[Idiom] be cast to four winds like a fistful of confetti?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky753

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello Everyone,

I am reading Brooklyn Folly by Paul Auster. In it, there is a sentence I can't fully understand.

He had been turned into pauper, penniless convict without a single resource or plan. Once he served his time in Joliet, he would be cast to the four winds like a fistful of confetti.

(Here he refers to Harry, a gallery owner sentenced to seven years in prison, who had been charged with creating scam paintings.)

Thanks and Regards

Sky:)

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

The "four winds" refers to the winds from the north, south, east and west. As an idiom, to be "cast to the four winds" means to be thrown in all directions. In this case the writer has extended the metaphor by suggesting that when he has finished his prison sentence (served his time) he will be let out into the world and blown around like confetti, at the mercy of whatever fate awaits him.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thanks and regards.

There is no need to capitalise R.

I presume you have looked up 'confetti'. A fistful is the same as a handful of it.

sky753

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There is no need to capitalise R.

I presume you have looked up 'confetti'. A fistful is the same as a handful of it.

Thanks for your pointing out my mistakes, I have always used this way. And I will pay attention to it next time. I would like to know here what you mean by saying have looked up 'confetti' ?

sky753

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
not a teacher

The "four winds" refers to the winds from the north, south, east and west. As an idiom, to be "cast to the four winds" means to be thrown in all directions. In this case the writer has extended the metaphor by suggesting that when he has finished his prison sentence (served his time) he will be let out into the world and blown around like confetti, at the mercy of whatever fate awaits him.

Thanks for your time, can you tell me what is the meaning of "cast" here?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
to cast = to throw, often with the intention of spreading the thing thrown.
confetti = many small pieces of paper, often coloured, that are typically thrown during a celebration such as a wedding.

sky753

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
to cast = to throw, often with the intention of spreading the thing thrown.
confetti = many small pieces of paper, often coloured, that are typically thrown during a celebration such as a wedding.

Thanks so much for your time!:):up::up:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would like to know here what you mean by saying have looked up 'confetti' ?

You said you couldn't fully understand the sentence. I assumed that you could understand 'confetti', as it's in every dictionary and you would have looked it up.

'Cast' is also in every dictionary.

Instead of sending your thanks in a separate message and quoting our replies back to us, just click the
Like button, please.

The reason is that it is flagged as a new post, so we think you might have a follow-up question or something to add. Those of us with slow internet connections and/or old computers have to waste valuable time waiting for it to appear.

Thank you.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.