• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

criticize vs advertise

The answer for this question is 2, but can't 1 also be an answer? I think "criticize" is sometimes finding out only bad aspects of something, but sometimes finding out good and bad aspects of something. Is "criticize" related to bad things only?
    What about "critics"? Do they only find out bad things about something?

Q.What is the purpose of this writing(the middle part only)?
    1. To criticize 2. To advertise
    After several years, Dr. Jekyll finally makes a drug thatis able to separate the two persons within him –Dr. Jekyll and the evil Mr. Hyde.
    Nearly perfect acting, melodious singing! An outstanding musical that attracts the whole audience to the stage. - S Daily
    Between the calm and storm, the wild performance of the dual character as Jekyll and Hyde.

No musical has been more attractive than Jekyll & Hyde. This is the greatest musical, and the one you must see! - City Times

Information for Jekyll & Hyde The musical Jekyll & Hyde is an amazing story of love and madness.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: criticize vs advertise

Only "advertise."

A "critic" evaluates something and will say good things or bad things. But if you "criticize" something, you say bad things. You'd say a critic reviewed a performance. He could give a good review or a bad review. If the former, he praises. If the latter, he criticizes.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: criticize vs advertise

"Criticize" has two meanings. 1) Evaluate 2) Judge adversely.
    Criticize - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

• From the 1990s, the popular meanings of the word criticism have started to evolve more strongly toward "having an objection", "expressing dissent", "stating a dislike", "wanting to dissociate from something", or "rejecting something" ("If you liked it, you would not be criticizing it").
    • Criticism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sometimes it's very difficult to use "criticism" and "criticize" in the sense of making an evaluation, because you'll inevitably get people who don't know of the first meaning and will object that you want to criticize (meaning 2) something. However, when you read about Art criticism or Literary criticism, it doesn't mean to take a piece of art or literature and say how much you don't like it and point out all the faults it has. Unfortunately, there is not a good alternative to "criticize, criticism" to mean "make a critique" of something.