Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear Teachers

Sometimes, it is quite difficult to tell the difference between the American and Canadian accent. I try to tell if the girl in the video below speaks with an American or Canadian accent and the traces (or other accent?) to explain the traces to my daughter, as she wants to know.

Chan Ming-yan - YouTube

Some pronunciations sounds a bit British though (or I am wrong?).

Regards

Anthony

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'll leave the bulk of your question to American and Canadian speakers, but I would agree that some of her sounds may sound a bit British.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hard to say though I can't hear any British-sounding bits. The end of one word (I've forgotten which one) sounded a little Australian but that may have been because she was employing the American/Australian habit of "questioning intonation" at the end of statements. I didn't hear any giveaway Canadian pronunciation either so I would have said she is from the USA and not from a Southern state. I too will be interested to hear from American and Canadian variant natives.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Neither the American nor the Canadian accent exists as such. The United States has some regional accents, for example southern, New England and midwestern. Canada has some small regional accents, maritime and Newfoundland. But for the most part the people of North America speak what you might call CNN.

One little thing that tends to distinguish Canadian from American English is the pronuciation of ou. In Canada it is shorter and more closed than in the US. Americans often claim that Canadians say oot for out and equate our pronuciation to the Scottish.

Last edited:

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I was born in Hong Kong. My mum is from Australia and my dad is from New Zealand. They came here over 30 years ago and they have been living here ever since. My brother and I were both born and raised here.

How about that! I thought for sure that she was from the US.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It sounded to me like her accent was pulling between a vaguely "British" accent and vaguely "Asian" one. If it weren't for that I'd have guessed American, because nothing in her word choice suggests a "British" or foreign speaker. Just for contrast, the second speaker sounded very normal to me, so I don't think I was just imagining it.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
She sounds like a Swede who learnt British English until age 15, then went to America for 7 years.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I personally didn't think she was a native speaker of English.
I'm not sure what it was, but her English didn't sound natural to me.

(Edit) I remember the day when I heard Chicken Sandwich's English. I found his English very natural back then.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
She sounds like a Swede who learnt British English until age 15, then went to America for 7 years.
Nah. A Norwegian who learnt BrE until she was 14, then went to America for 8 years.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And there was me thinking she might be an Aalander who'd spent a lot of time in the Federal Nations of Micronesia. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.